Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe Consuming All System Resources

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 joematrix_2000

joematrix_2000

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:25 PM

Recently began having a problem with my computer freezing. Thought it was virus. Cleaned system. Then ran across indication that it might be caused by a conflict between my Audigy 2 sound card and recent XP update. Here's the scenario:

Boot up - Creative driver loads - system works fine until accessing anything that requires sound. Then system freezes or at least slows to near death. Checked processes and see that one instance of svchost.exe is using tons of resources and that CPU performance is at 100% and stuck there. Ended the "offending" instance of svchost.exe and system is back to normal function. HOWEVER, there is no sound, and no access to sound card until I reboot. A couple of postings I found indicate the afformentioned conflict. Creative doesn't acknowledge and no newer driver is available.

I have read several instances of the same problem, but no solution as of yet. Card is about 1 1/2 years and Creative says I can pay for their support - NO, I'll buy another companies sound card first. Don't want them to fix a problem I created, but they should certainly fix one their driver has created (OK so another Microsoft "update" did it - think bill cares?)

Here's the system:

Dell Dimension 8200
1.87 GHz
XP Home Servie Pak 2 with all of the most recent "security" updates
1GB Ram
ATI Audigy 2 sound Card
Windows Media Player 9 (don't like 11)

Any suggestions of confirming posts might help me get to the solution.

Thanks,
J

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:04 PM

Hi joematrix ,
If you still need help, could you please post back a complete HJT log.
Thanks.

Starbuck

BBPP6nz.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users