Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware error message 1024 on Win98SE

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 16 January 2005 - 08:31 PM

I have just reformatted my hdd and everything installed without problems until I tried to install my broadband drivers. I got the message "Hardware error 1024, please consult your program vendor." I believe it might have something to do with the internal modem which has not been functioning. While I was on dial up I used an external modem to overcome this. I also noticed when installing Win 98 that the broadband option at the top of thr list could not be selected. Although the box was unticked and not greyed out, I was unable to tick it. All the other options related to dial up so I left them blank. I have been unable to access the inernet and wonder if I still need to install the drivers for the internal modem even if it is faulty.

Any help would be appreciated :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 16 January 2005 - 09:02 PM

Go into device manager and find the internal modem, go to properties and put a check mark on disable in this hardware profile. Reboot.

I also noticed when installing Win 98 that the broadband option at the top of thr list could not be selected.

Not sure what you mean by this. Never seen that.

How is the broadband modem connected? If its through your Lan (Ethernet) card make sure it shows in device manager. Go into network properties and look for TCP/IP and TCP/IP -> network card. They both need to be there.

Perhaps post back what is in your Network Properties.

Edited by Leurgy, 16 January 2005 - 09:03 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:58 AM

Thank you Leurgy for that info. I am new to this forum and couldn't find my post or your reply until today. I will try what you said when the "big" computer is free and let you know.

I re-installed my broadband drivers again last night after first uninstalling them and saw the same error as soon as I plugged the modem into the USB port on the computer.

The computers are not set up on a network yet, though I might do this in the future, so I do not think the problem lies in that direction, but I will check what you suggested. I did not install the drivers for the internal modem last night and I was unable to connect with the internet. Previously, before the reformat, the internal modem drivers were installed but didn't appear to work and the broadband drivers were installed later when we moved from dial up. We still got the error message but could connect to the internet.

I am still puzzled as to why Win98SE would not allow me to check the top box (ASL which I think is a broadband or maybe cable option) when installing the internet options, (Custom install) As I didn't want dial up I left all of them blank. I wonder if this is where the problem lies?

Many thanks for your help

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:09 AM

The computers are not set up on a network yet, though I might do this in the future, so I do not think the problem lies in that direction

When you are using broadband, be it cable or DSL you are considered to be on a LAN (Local Area Network) even for a single computer. So it is important to check your Network Properties. At a minimum you need a Client (Client for Microsoft Networks), a Protocol (TCP/IP) and a Network Device bound to your Protocol (TCP/IP ->The USB Modem). Whenever you see that option then you should select that. Go to Tools>Internet options>Connections and click setup. As you go through that you would pick LAN in each case.

BTW, when you post a reply you can select email notification at the bottom and you will get an email with a link back to any threads you have going when someone posts a reply so you don't have to look for them.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:36 PM

Thank you Leurgy for all that information. I have looked in device manager for internal modem under "Other devices" (which has a yellow ?) so has PCI Comm. Device (which I disabled as suggested) Ethernet Controller has the third yellow ?

I do not appear to have Network Properties installed but I have looked at Internet Properties/connections/setup but I do not think this is what I need and there was no client for Microsoft Networks there. I cannot see the Protocol or Network Device either which will have been there before the reformat. Perhaps I was too clever in the custom install. I think it might be better if I reformatted the C partition again as all my files and most of my applications are on different partitions so it is not a great problem. I can then let the operating system install what is needed.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:48 PM

The items with a yellow ? need to have drivers installed after you load 98SE. Windows does not have the drivers natively.

Network properties are accessed through control panel. This is where you need to see the protocols and client.

If you do reinstall, when you format the drive, use the format /u command. This will remove all current settings. If you don't use the /u switch, some current settings remain.

When you run setup, pick typical rather than custom or minimal and you will have the network properties you need for DSL. Does your ISP give you a CD? If so that will set you up for DSL also.

Edited by Leurgy, 18 January 2005 - 05:50 PM.

#7 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:02 AM

Thank you Leurgy for all your help. I did look for Network Properties on the Control Panel but it was not there, probably because I played around with the "custom" install. It is 1.00pm Wednesday, here and hubby is once again on the "big" computer which I have messed up for him. He is happy enough as he doesn't need the internet at present. I will follow your instructions when I do the reformat of C drive tonight and choose "typical" which I should have selected and avoided all the present problems. I have an integrated motherboard with video, sound and LAN which I installed after the O.S and this will also need to be reinstalled.

BTW is the instruction "format C:/U?"

I have the CD for my ISP which has the drivers for the broadband modem. I suppose the error message, "Hardware error 1024, please contact the program vendor," relates to the broadband modem and not the computer. I contacted my ISP about this before posting here and they said it was a computer problem. They couldn't explain why the error message appeared as soon as I plugged the modem into the USB port and was not there when it was not plugged in.

We can only connect to the internet with one computer at a time. We have 2 broadband modems, (no router) and plug in the modem for whichever computer is going to connect to the internet (and unplug the other modem)

Will report back when I have done as you suggested. Once again, sincere thanks for all your help and guidance it is very much appreciated and has given me a better understanding of what is needed.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:00 AM

BTW is the instruction "format C:/U?"

You would type "Format C: /u". The spaces are important.

#9 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:15 AM

Thank you for the clarification. I will do as you advise and let you know the result

BTW does format C: not clean everything off that drive including all settings? Will it affect my partitions? - I have 3, C D and E

You have been very patient with all my questions and I am grateful.

Many thanks again.

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:33 AM

BTW does format C: not clean everything off that drive including all settings?

Well, yes and no. When you format a drive or delete something, Windows simply alters the info at the beginning of a file which makes it unreadable. But ever since the first Dos computers there has been a function called undelete which restores the altered information and voila its back.

When you format a drive with Windows on it , and promptly reinstall Windows, Windows will undelete two files (user.dat and system.dat) and reuse some of the information that concerns system settings and the like in order to make for a faster and less error prone installation. When you use the format /u command it supposedly does an unconditional format that does not allow for undelete.

The best way to format a hard drive is to go the hard drive manufacturers website and get the utility that they offer. These utilities also have diagnostics and sometimes data backup tools. If you press the pause button near the beginning of a boot (the screen with the Energy Star logo top left) the boot will stop and your HD name and model # is displayed there. Press the any key to continue. :thumbsup: You can pause, any, pause, any to get to the right place.

Will it affect my partitions? - I have 3, C D and E

Not at all.

#11 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 06:42 PM

Just a brief update on my 1024 hardware error. Tried to find manufacturers name on boot up - nothing specific - no name. Looked in System, only info was "generic". Not very illuminating. Phoned computer supplier, it seems they did not have this info. However they suggested the hardware error could relate to the Win 98SE being run on the desktop with a USB modem plug, (although they could not find the meaning of the error message). I believed Win 98 supported USB but they said it is not natively supported. A scanner and printer are connected to another USB plug through a hub - the modem is a direct USB connection to the computer . I did however discover the make and number of the HDD by opening up the computer. It is an IBM hard disk (their HDDs are under majority ownership of Hitachi.) Haven't reformatted yet need some spare time.

Thank for all your advice and help. I have learned a lot from all of this. :thumbsup:

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:28 PM

the make and number of the HDD by opening up the computer

If you could give us that number it would be helpful.

The 1024 hardware error in relation to your broadband modem doesn't really mean very much with the current configuration. You wont be able to connect to the internet without Network Properties.

I have looked in device manager for internal modem under "Other devices" (which has a yellow ?) so has PCI Comm. Device (which I disabled as suggested) Ethernet Controller has the third yellow ?

Other Devices might be your internal modem. PCI communication device is likely your sound card and of course Ethernet controller is your NIC(Network Interface Card).

When you reinstall Windows, you will then need to install the drivers for these devices as Windows doesn't seem to have them. If you were to download and run Belarc Advisor we can figure out what these devices are and find the corect drivers for them. It will fit on a floppy.

#13 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 20 January 2005 - 08:17 PM

I believe this program may be of some assistance in the identification of installed hardware & also the links online to it's (their) manufacturers. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html
It is free.
It does reveal inner workings rather well.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#14 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 05:06 PM

Reply for Leurgy

It is an IBM Desktop (website shows it as IBM Deskstar 120GXP(07N8450)
Model No IC35l040AVVN07-0 40GB 7200 RPM ATA/IDE. There is also a P/N 07N8450.

Tried IBM's website and was referred to Hitachi at www.hgst.com. Didnt find it very illuminating as there seemed to be 2 or 3 models with similar specs.

I appreciate I will have to reformat and load the typical version to be sure that everything is there. Have just downloaded Belarc Advisor on to my laptop and copied it to floppy to try on the desktop. It is an amazing program and has checked out my laptop in great detail. I will report back probably tomorrow

Renewed thanks.

#15 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 05:10 PM

Reply for phawgg

I will take your advice on the download an post back tomorrow.
Very many thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users