Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Upgraded, Preformance Downgraded?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 AwesomeTrent

AwesomeTrent

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:28 AM

Hi I just upgraded the ram and graphics card on my comp. To my knowledge I did everything correctly but I'm getting really bad results, my computer is actually going slower by just surfing the web, I don't get it!

another problem that has just occured, I can't actually do anything on it now, the curser can move around the screen but once you go to the bottom where the start button and ect are it shows an hour glass and won't let you leave the desktop! I've restarted it several times with no results.

here are my specs, compaq presario with an intel celeron processor, vga sapphire x1650PRO graphics card and 1.25gb ram

thanks, for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:48 AM

Upgrading the RAM to 1.25 G should not cause any problem, unless that's not a legitimate configuration for your systemboard, or, of couse, one of the new sticks is bad.

Adding a new graphics card, however, isn't as simple as just putting in the card. You have to install the drivers for the card. Often, the drivers that come with the card aren't the current ones, and you'll need to download more current drivers from the Internet.

My suggestions,

first, remove the new RAM sticks and go back to your original RAM configuration. Then, if you are still having this problem, you've isolated it to the video card. Hopefully, downloading the appropriate drivers will resolve the issue.

If you no longer have the problem after removing the new RAM sticks, then it would appear to be RAM related. Assuming that they are the correct ones, maybe you don't have them in the right slots, and moving the original sticks and installing the new ones in different slots may resolve the issue.

Please provide us with your systemboard make/model, and the specs on the RAM sticks if you continue to experience this problem.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 AwesomeTrent

AwesomeTrent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:46 AM

Thanks! I was able to worm my way into the device manager via the task manager and was able to roll back my driver, so now I can use the comp, aparantly I downloaded a bad one/did it wrong.

Oh and do you think the "catalyst control center" thing is causing any of my slow down problems, I had read something about it causing problems, especially on the game ArmA (armed assault) which I've been having problems with, they said on the website to download an earlier version (I think they said 6.6 or 6.7) but I can't seem to do It right.

#4 AwesomeTrent

AwesomeTrent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:20 AM

ok I now uninstalled the current driver and am installing a newer driver the catalyst 6.6 instead of 7.whatever and will see If I still encounter any trouble

#5 AwesomeTrent

AwesomeTrent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:11 AM

dangit! it I tried installing the catalyst 6.6 and it caused the same desktop freeze problem, aparantly my computer doesn't like that stupid catalyst thing...

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:45 PM

Before you installed the new drivers, did you uninstall the old drivers for the old graphics card? If it was onboard video (integrated graphics) before, did you go into the BIOS and disable onboard video? I've only seen one or 2 cases where a computer didn't like the ATI drivers.

Let me know if this is the issue. If you check these things, and the problem persists, then we'll find you the drivers without the catalyst control center.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

You could always not use CCC (I don't). Instead I prefer ATI Tray Tools. I had problems with CCC before, and I think it does slow everything down a bit more.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:14 PM

Its definatly possible. To use an ATI without CCC I have a Radeon 9200 (a fossil yes I know) I have the latest ATI drivers with no CCC. But I also don't have Microsoft Framework installed either. Wich CCC needs to run.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:06 PM

Its definatly possible. To use an ATI without CCC I have a Radeon 9200 (a fossil yes I know) I have the latest ATI drivers with no CCC. But I also don't have Microsoft Framework installed either. Wich CCC needs to run.

Good point Sneakycyber! AwsomeTrent, do you have the .net framework installed? HERE'S a link to ATI for the drivers and all sorts of good stuff for your card. Be sure to read the links about installation and any other links that interest you (as they will most likely benefit you!). HERE'S a link to the part about the .net framework along with a link to Microsoft to download and install it.

If you want to, you can download JUST the drivers and NOT the catalyst control center by clicking on the "Display Driver" link (just below the "Catalyst Software Suite" link).

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#10 AwesomeTrent

AwesomeTrent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:34 AM

I believe I had installed the drivers correctly the first time, but I had gotten so frustrated (several drivers reccomended by others didn't work) that I may have skipped something so I'll try it again.

as the microsoft thing, I believe I have it, I did a search on my comp and found an entry by that name that was installed yesterday. so are you saying that I need to get rid of the microsoft thing or that I need it?

#11 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:45 AM

If you want to run the Catalyst Control Center (CCC), then you'll need the latest version of Microsofts .net framework (which I linked to in my previous post). You can go to add or remove programs (Start>Settings>Control Panel then new window opens click on Add and remove programs) and see if there's an entry for "Microsoft .net framework version 2.0. If you don't have this in your add and remove programs, then you'll have to download and install it (assuming that you want to run the CCC).

Again, if the CCC is no big deal, then you can download just the drivers from the link I provided earlier. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#12 AwesomeTrent

AwesomeTrent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:00 AM

well I'm not going the use CCC but should I still keep Microsoft.net framework in my comp? (do other programs use it) or should I delete it?

#13 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:18 AM

Yes, I believe that other programs utilize the .net framework. Even if nothing else uses it, it's a certified MS program (that's actaully a part of the Windows SP2 patch) and shouldn't hurt anything.

Let us know how you fare with this! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#14 AwesomeTrent

AwesomeTrent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:35 PM

ok, sorry it's been a while (busy)

I also just discovered that I have spyware on my comp which may be part of the problem, I had posted in the hijack this forum a few weeks ago and got rid of it (I thought) but it is now rearing its ugly slow making head. :thumbsup:

once I get this cleared up I'll install the driver and post my results here.

Edited by AwesomeTrent, 19 May 2007 - 08:38 PM.

#15 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:50 PM

Go through the steps and post another HJT log here on the forums. You might clean it up just by going through the "pre-log posting" steps (for lack of a better term).

No problem about being busy, we all know that there's life outside of the internet! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users