Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quicktime Query.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:56 AM

I have Quicktime installed 70.4 MB. Downloaded new version 7.1 36.1 MB.Do I have to remove the old version before installing new version? Apple.com is not clear.Another Point,seems odd to me that new version is half the size of old version.Or have I got 2 versions of Quicktime installed already to have 70.4MB Any help appreciated. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:02 AM

I can't really help you with your Quicktime query, although can't you do an update from within Quicktime. Have you considered QuickTime Alternative - it's much less "bloated" than Apple's version.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:10 AM

Thanks 'Budapest' for the Quick reply. Will try and update from within Quicktime.Agree this Quicktime seems very bloated.Will look at the alternative first you suggested.Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:29 AM

For what it is worth, my version of QT is roughly the same size in MB as is yours.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:56 AM

Thanks John,That makes me feel better Knowing I haven't goofed up.
Had a look at the alternative,but don't understand the exact Downloads or plugins or ......Whatever I need for
XP SP2. Got confused which is not hard. :thumbsup:

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:32 AM

Even more confusing is that I found another download of QT7.1.5 at Download.com that was a mere 19MB!
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:11 PM

Maybe it doesn't include iTunes?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#8 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:10 AM

Thanks for everyones help.One last Question if I may.As I said my Quicktime is 70.4 MB.This does not include I-Tunes.I went into Start>search>Files and Folders and turned up Zero for I-tunes.
If I diced the 70.4 MB Quicktime and installed the 19 MB 7.16 from Apple,would I be missing any of the features of the 70.4MB Version? Hope you can follow me.This is the Version,I was contemplating useing.
Quicktime only.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html

#9 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:51 AM

Glancing over the history of Quicktime here it seems that there are improvements to Quicktime so one would be led to believe that you woud not loose any features of the program by upgrading to the latest version. I have the latest version & do not recall losing any features along the way. Scroll down to Referances at the Wikipedia article & click on #28. That may help you some as well.

You do not have to remove the older version of Quicktime manually before installing the latest version. Running the installer on the latest version does that for you. If you do uninstall the older version manually, you should not have any problems there either. I have done both without any problems.

FWIW: The Quicktime with I-Tunes installer comes bundled with both programs but they are installed seperately & you can remove one without removing the other.

#10 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:27 AM

That's exactly what I wanted to know,'hillbillygreek'.Appreciate everyone's help. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 18 May 2007 - 01:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users