Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems after auto update

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 paulj02

paulj02

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 16 January 2005 - 08:27 PM

Window's automatically updated several hotfixes this past week. Since then windows XP pro doesn't work right.

I get the following message when opening all "non-windows" apps; "Application failed to start becuase the Application configuration not correct"

The task bar is a grey box with not start button.

THe desktop icos have a white jagged border around them.

I can't get to any of the admin tools in the control pannel. I get a error saying either the registry is corrupted or installed incorrectly.

My Norton anti-virus won't work and when I tried RAV it wouldn't work becuase AcitveX woudn't run. I checked and IE security is "medium".

Windows won't let me do a system restore to prior to the download.

Help!

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 matt_com911

matt_com911

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 17 January 2005 - 04:21 AM

Just one idea (may not work ). Boot into safe mode and then try going to add/remove programs.

Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs

If not ticked at the top of the window, tick show updates. The update you installed will have to be uninstalled. Scroll down until you find

Windows XP - Software updates

If you haven't recieved any more updates since this bad one, click on the newest Windows XP Hotfix. (The install dates are to the right of each one). Reboot into normal XP (no safe mode). The problem may be fixed. :thumbsup: Hope I could help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users