Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Won't Launch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dragonlord

dragonlord

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:15 AM

Hi folks! I'm new here, so please forgive me if I commit a faux pas on forum etiquette. :flowers:

But, here's the problem:

I recently uninstalled Norton Anti-Virus and installed AVG.

Now, when I try to open Outlook, it won't launch. It hangs and I get this error message:

"Microsoft Office Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

It closes and when I click on it again it asks if I want to open it in SAFE MODE instead. I click Yes and it gives me the same error message again.

I try to open it again and it gives me an error messages stating:

"Outlook failed to launch in safe mode. Would you like to start 'Detect and Repair?"

I click Yes and it goes through the steps (I have the office set-up file on my hard-drive) and once it's done, I try to launch Outlook again and it does the same exact thing again (see above).

I've tried everything!

I've uninstalled both AVG and Norton to no effect.

I've tried to reboot in safe mode and it still does the same thing (I can't even launch it in Safe-Safe-Mode!)

I've upgraded my outlook 2002 to 2003 and downloaded all the most recent updates.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2003...same thing happens.

I've run a scan of my .psi file to make sure it wasn't corrupted.

I've uninstalled AVG anti-spyware...nothing.

What else?....What else?....

Everything else on Office '03 (Excel, Word, etc...) works perfectly.

I did the same thing on my laptop (uninstalled norton and installed AVG) and I'm having the exact same problem on it, as well!!!! Unbelievable!!!

I'm thinking that there must be some Norton Add-On that is linked to Outlook which is causing it to shut down, since the .dll is no longer there, and it goes looking for it. But, which .dll and how would I solve the problem?

I've tried to Google the problem, but, it doesn't seem as though this is a rampant issue, so, no luck finding a similar problem and solution.

Please help!

Oh...to add to this...they're both my work computer and my occupation REVOLVES around email! I'm like sooo dead!

Any suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:56 AM

You have to use a special tool to uninstall Norton completely.

How To Remove Your Norton Products
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 dragonlord

dragonlord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:30 PM

You have to use a special tool to uninstall Norton completely.

How To Remove Your Norton Products

Hi Budapest,

Thanks for responding and your efforts. Unfortunately, that didn't work either. Mayhap it isn't Norton that is causing it after all.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks for your help!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:44 PM

Several suggestions:

First, I'd suggest using another email client to get your email back quickly. I use Mozilla Thunderbird - it's free and easy to use: http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird

Next, try completely uninstalling Office (backing up your .pst files first) - then reboot, then try to install it again. Let us know the exact error message that you receive if it doesn't work this time.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 dragonlord

dragonlord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:56 PM

Problem's been fixed. Kinda embarassing, because I had to break down and call my IT dept. for help. They knew it was something serious, too...because I NEVER called IT before. They were like, "Oooooh damn! This is serious.." :thumbsup:

But, the head guru came and he spent pretty much half the day going through my registry and deleting all things Outlook. Then, voila! It was fixed. Outlook launched and I was gravy.

I would never presume to be savvy enough to go messing around in the registry. So, for all those out there who experience this problem.....Call someone who knows what they're doing. Seriously!

For those with a pedestrian knowledge of computers, like me - DON'T EVER GO FUDGING WITH THE REGISTRY!

Thanks everyone for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users