Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Disable My Chipset System Fan?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 David2282

David2282

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:07 AM

Can I disable that 3-pin connector on my motherboard that the case fan plugs into??

I installed my computer into a new case (the Antec NSK2400) that has two case fans with variable speeds, as opposed to the one fixed speed case fan that came with my stock case. So I'm not worried about cooling, I should be fine. The fans on the new case do not plug into the motherboard; they only plug into the power supply. They work just fine. So when I put the system in the new case, of course I removed the old case fan.

But when I finished the rebuild and booted up the computer, it gave me a message that said something along the lines of:

System fan failure
Service PC to prevent further damage.

Well, I had the case off at the time so I could see that my fans were working. Obviously, the computer is noticing that the old fan in not plugged into the motherboard.

So my question is, how do I tell my computer to quit looking for the chipset fan? I'd really like to fix this if possible because right now the chipset fan is laying on top of my case with a little box over it so my cats don't put their paws inside it while it's spinning, lol.

Oh yeah, my motherboard is the ECS RC415ST-HM. It's the motherboard that comes with the Compaq Presario SR2163WM. HP/Compaq calls this motherboard Alhena5-GL6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 David2282

David2282
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:37 AM

So, after spending lots of time with the live chat tech support guys over at Compaq, we came to the conclusion that you cannot disable this fan with the current BIOS version, and that if I want it disabled I will have to wait for them to release a newer version of the BIOS. I'm not going to hold my breath. So I found the only place in my case that I can put the old fan and superglued it in there. It's out of the way of anything it might otherwise break, and I've had the system up and running, error message free for about 20 minutes. So unless anyone else has some secret method of disabling the system fan (or rather the system fan check) I'm going to call this one case closed!

I guess that makes this topic pretty pointless as I solved my own problem without a reply. So, administrators, feel free to delete this post. Although, for anyone with a Compaq Presario just know that as of this date, you cannot disable the fan check. Find a place to put the fan. I hate Compaq.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users