Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Connect Through DSL

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pamelaspancakes

pamelaspancakes

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:47 PM

Hey everyone,

(Hope i'm posting this in the right area)

I currently connect with AOL (you can make fun of me later) through a an actiontec DSL modem. I want to switch computers but when I try to connect with the new computer I can't. When I click the "redetect devices" on AOL, the DSL modem doesn't come up. I've restarted and unplugged the modem a bunch of times and it still does'nt work.
The power, Ready and Link lights are all on and steady.
I've installed the correct driver for the modem (i think it's the right one)
I need help! please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:01 PM

So you still want to connect to AOL, using the same DSL modem but different computer?
If yes, the problem might be that AOL permits only one computer's MAC address. Some providers do that nasty thing. Have you tried disconnecting the old computer? Have you tried shutting down the computers, then the modem, waiting a minute or two and powering the modem and the new computer, in that order, slowly one after another?

I don't know AOL (other than to make fun of it :thumbsup:) but what do you mean the "DSL modem doesn't come up"?

When both computers are on, and
when you do Start > Run
cmd
ipconfig /all
what does it say?
Does one address start with 169. ... etc which means incomplete connection? Or are they both the same?
Don't list it here, but comparing what both computers say migh help to answer. Do they both get the same IP address from AOL

#3 pamelaspancakes

pamelaspancakes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:37 PM

When I did the "ip config all" the new computer says "windows IP configuration" and the old computer has an IP address.

When i said "the dsl modem doesn't come up", I meant that when I have AOL detect modems or other devices it only lists the dial up modem not the dsl modem.

I'll try unplugging the old computer and then booting up the old when in the order that you said.

#4 pamelaspancakes

pamelaspancakes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:54 PM

I followed the shut down and booting instructions you said and it still doesn't work.
I also saw that in the device manager the dsl modem is listed but there is a question mark next to it, I thought I installed the driver for it, but apparently I didn't. Any suggestions?

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:22 PM

I hope someone else helps you now, because I just don't recall how DSL modem I used to have worked. Are you sure it needs a driver other than the default Microsoft driver?

What you could try is delete the modem from the devices manager and install again after rebooting.
Or Update the driver and reboot. That might be safer.

Each computer has to display a list of things in the ipconfig /all command. And, if AOL permits two IP addresses, each should show a different one.

Does that second computer really have an Ethernet card or something of that sort? The total absence of information other than what you got is puzzling. If you were to swap the cables, does Windows see the modem?

Edited by tos226, 16 May 2007 - 09:26 PM.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:35 PM

If i remember correctly, you must install the dsl usb modem drivers for actiontek using their installer. R click on the dsl modem under the usb devices in the device manager, uninstall. unplug the modem from the computer, then restart. Start the actiontec installer from the cd, do not plug in the modem until told to do so by the installer. Any more questions, please ask.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 pamelaspancakes

pamelaspancakes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:30 PM

I finally figured it out. I uninstalled the drivers i had for the DSL modem, copied the program files for the modem on the old computer and put them on the new computer, then I had windows search for drivers in those files and now it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users