Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startnow Navigation Helper

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bassy2

Bassy2

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:37 PM

Hi Moderators,

Haven't visited in some time. No problems occurred also until now.

Some time ago I saw Startnow Navigation Helper in add/remove programs on my computer. Although suspicious I did not pay much attention to it as I am virtually new to computers. However I recently decided
to do some cleaning out and it jumped to my attention. Google Searches revealed that it was spyware and a serious one.

I attempted to remove the same via add/remove but to no avail. I tried searching for it as best I can but found nothing. I my efforts to remove the same I got the following messages: -

1. "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-RAM or other removable Disc
that is not available. Insert the startnow Navigation Helper Disc and click O.K.

2. "Fatal Error on installation".

3. "The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source
exist and that you can access it.

In the dialogue box with respect to (i) above there was a window with the words above it:-

Use Source: (Product name) LABEL.

I have also suspected that this may have come into the system via a card program, or *label program CD
which was uninstalled from the system. Can that be possible?

My system information are as follows:-

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1200 Mhz
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

I shall be grateful if you can assist me in the removal of startnow Navigation Helper from the system.

Thanking you in advance for your kind consideration and help.

Bassy2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:05 PM

See the fix used in the link below. It is a 2004 page but might still work. If you would like you can post a Hijack This log.
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/ind...hp/t-41586.html

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below . DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Bassy2

Bassy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:50 AM

See the fix used in the link below. It is a 2004 page but might still work. If you would like you can post a Hijack This log.
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/ind...hp/t-41586.html

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below . DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Hi Buddy215,

The delay in replying is regretted

Bassy2

I tried the fix given me in your reply. It did not work but I am not sure I properly understand it. Further I am pretty new to computers and I have had trouble in downloading hijack.

I sincerely appreciate your reply and will try to post the hijack log in the appropriate forum.

Thank you for your kind attention

Edited by Bassy2, 20 May 2007 - 11:52 AM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:05 PM

Using the Hijack This program is necessary to perform the fix. Are you still having problems installing Hijack This?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Bassy2

Bassy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:30 PM

Hi. Buddy 215,

Many thanks for your inquiry. No I have not been having further problems in downloading Hijack This.
I searched and found instructions for that purpose. That seems to be a very powerful program. I have to be carefull.

So soon as I have done so and got the log I shall post the same in the relevant forum. That should be by tomorrow afternoon.

Meanwhile thank you again and best regards. Your time and effort is greatly appreciated.

Until then.

Bassy2.

#6 Bassy2

Bassy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:22 PM

Hellow Buddy 215,

Permit me to refer to my initial thread more particularly subparagraph 2. That message prompted me to believe that the download was interrupted just when startnow installer was was downloading and as a result of the interruption a portion of the same became orphaned in my system and stuck in add/remove.

As a last resort before downloading hyjack this Windows Installer Cleanup Utility was run and Startnow was removed from the system. Further searches and scans of the system were made with good results. The system now seems to be healthy.

In the premises I wish to thank you for the valuable time, patience and professionalizm you have shown.

Best regards and God bless

Bassy2 :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users