Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have Wireless But Not Wired

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:07 PM

My sister in law has a PC (cable modem) wired correctly. Two other PC on a Linksys wireless. Wireles connections work BUT NOT the wired, cannot raise the home page. Network connections shows traffic and good signal. OS is 2000. Scanning for malware now. Have cleared cache,cookies and temps. Was thinking winsockfix but she cannot download from that PC. Any ideas.
Thanks

Edited by boopme, 15 May 2007 - 07:09 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:20 AM

Did you find a solution? Sorry I did not see this thread before. Are you sure you did not get a crossover cable?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,344 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:10 PM

Hi acklan and thanks. First are not ethernet and crossover the same? As we have existing ethernet . Shae also tried using the ethernet connection from a game that's been connected (I think xbox).
Any way let me update ... Malware scan clean. Tried xbox cable ,nothing diff.
Also it's XP not 2K. it is an older linksys WRExxxx not G or N. Connected thru USB. I was considering getting her a newer router but I don't see it failing as the 2 wireless are fine.
She set she saw a message to reset IP address. Treid typing ipconfig /all and afew others. Still no joy. I'm probably going to go there tommorrow am to see what I can do. She's been off for a couple weeks now. Comcast says All good on modem and their end.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:57 PM

Ethernet is a protocol. "Patch" or "Crossover" denotes how the cable is configured as it relates to the wiring. See the diagram below.

Posted Image

Try resetting your (her) LAN.
First go into the into the ipconfig and release the IP address on each computer. Do not renew just release, exit, and turn the computers off.
Next unplug the modem and router and turn off every network computer and device. After one minute plug in the modem. Wait one more minute and plug in the router. When the router is back online turn on all of the computers and network devices. This should reset the LAN DHCP IP addresses and hopefully allow the wired computer online.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,344 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:58 PM

Try resetting your (her) LAN.
First go into the into the ipconfig and release the IP address on each computer. Do not renew just release, exit, and turn the computers off.
Next unplug the modem and router and turn off every network computer and device. After one minute plug in the modem. Wait one more minute and plug in the router. When the router is back online turn on all of the computers and network devices. This should reset the LAN DHCP IP addresses and hopefully allow the wired computer online.

Ethernet is a protocol. "Patch" or "Crossover" denotes how the cable is configured as it relates to the wiring. See the diagram below.

Posted Image

NOTES Ok will have to check cable but she says she bought a new ethernet from PC store. Didn't change.
Also following the ipconfig steps she gets message
operation failed no acceptable state permissable for application
Hope I got that correct. Can not proceed from there
OTHER item of interest from ipconfig
Windows IP config:
IP routing enabled and WINS Proxy enabled are YES on mine and NO on hers(from the wired PC). I mention this as I also have 2 wireless and 1 wired ,
Ethernet adapter Wireless neywork connection:
IP address she has 8 digits xxx.xxx.x.x ,, I have 10,,,,xxx.xxx.x.xxx
DHCP Servers she has no numbers

DO you think reinstalling the router would be an option to ghange these settings.

Appreciate it

Edit: did,t want to copy the pic again

Edited by boopme, 26 May 2007 - 04:59 PM.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:20 AM

The cable will be marked with an X or have the word crossover printed on the cable.
Could you provide the name and model of her modem?

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:23 AM

Could you give us idea of the connections between the computers? Sort of like a network diagram or something (doesn't have to be fancy, just understandable)? That way we'll have an idea of where the connection is failing.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,344 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:16 PM

Ok I'm going to shoot over and look at it.
No X on cable .. Model is Linksys BEFW11S4
Connection is Modem to roter internet port,,, then PC to 1 of the 4 Ethernet ports (Actually tried all 4) same results
The other 2 PC have linksys wireless adapters. One ,wireless,has the playstation connected. All the wireless work fine.

#9 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:20 PM

NOTES Ok will have to check cable but she says she bought a new ethernet from PC store. Didn't change.
Also following the ipconfig steps she gets message
operation failed no acceptable state permissable for application
Hope I got that correct. Can not proceed from there
OTHER item of interest from ipconfig
Windows IP config:
IP routing enabled and WINS Proxy enabled are YES on mine and NO on hers(from the wired PC). I mention this as I also have 2 wireless and 1 wired ,
Ethernet adapter Wireless neywork connection:
IP address she has 8 digits xxx.xxx.x.x ,, I have 10,,,,xxx.xxx.x.xxx
DHCP Servers she has no numbers

DO you think reinstalling the router would be an option to ghange these settings.

While I don't use proxy and no routing, The blank DHCP on one computer seems diagnostic.
If the Linksys router is a DHCP and possibly DNS server, then Windows needs to know about it to obtain IP address automatically. It also sounds like she might be using normal TCP/IPv4 while you're using v6 (Toredo protocol) but I don't think that's the issue becauses each computer shouldn't care what the other's doing. So I would first look into the router, take notes what it does for you and then setup windows side accordingly.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,344 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:59 PM

Hi all and thanks. We got it going.
The lack of DHCP bothered me to. So after all equipment had the right parts in the right order. I said lets reinstall or if possible repair install the ISP and/or router software to get the address and DHCP corrected. Turns out the ISP disc allowed ud to reset the IP and then It worked. Still was amazed that the call to Comcast ther proved useless in this case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users