Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Time For A New Harddrive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dmb83fan41

dmb83fan41

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:38 PM

So, how does one really know it's time for a new hard drive? Today when I went to power on my Toshiba laptop I noticed I had to boot up about 3 times in order for it to get past the Windows Splash Screen. Each time it seemed to get hung up there and just freeze. So I would then reboot by doing a hard reset, which in turn game me the option of starting windows in safe mode...I always just choose normal mode. My computer doesn't seem to be running slow or making any loud noises. So just wondering if it is indeed time for a new hard drive.

One other thing...I have been getting random black screens with white text all over it...something about DHCP and other networking jargon. I honestly can't explain this any better and wish I could because I am sure it means something.

Thanks for any help!

BTW the hard drive in my notebook is maybe 3 years old...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:54 PM

Do you have virus protection? Windows could be hanging up because of a virus. Not necessarily because of hardware failure. Your computer starting slow and the occasional white screen with writing means something isn't right in windows. You could start with a HJT log and get cleared for viruses then us hardware and XP experts can narrow down the problem. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/ This is where to start the HJT process. Happy Virus hunting :flowers:

Welcome :thumbsup: To BC

Edited by Sneakycyber, 15 May 2007 - 06:54 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:05 PM

If you were having a hardware problem with a drive going bad, it would probably show up off and on whenever you used your computer, not just on startup. Most hard drives, under normal conditions, will last at least 5 years.
It might help if you can provide the EXACT messages you are getting with the black screens, and precisely what you are doing when they show up; these messages may well be cryptic, but they can help our Members track down the cause of the problem.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 dmb83fan41

dmb83fan41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:10 AM

I may have a bigger problem today.

This morning I was on my notebook getting it prepared to do a HighJackThis log when a series of events happened to my notebook. I tried to copy done all I could. It occurred in three steps or really 3 reboots; each time something different.

Error 1 (This occurred while I was still using my computer. My computer began to lock up and freeze)

*Blue Screen, White Text*

"Kernal_Data_Inpage_Error"

"Beginning Dump of Physical Memory

Stop:0x0000007a (0xc03e...

This was all I could get before the notebook restarted itself...

Error 2 (Was a long one)
*Black screen, White Text*

Intel UNDI, PXE - 2.0 (build 082
Copyright © 1992-2000 Intel Corp.

For Realtek RTL8139 (x)/8130/810X PCI Fast
Ethernet Controller v2.12 (010817)

Client Mac Addr: 00 0Z 3F 80 81 E3
GUID: CCDCE721-58B7-11D7-9900-00023F8081E3

DHCP..../\/\/

Exiting PXE Rom

After all this it simply kept looping over and over so I had to restart,

Error 3 (Can't get past this error)

A disk read error occurred
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart.

I tried the following, but it still loads up to this screen.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:30 PM

Here's a link to the first error: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x7a
It seems to be tied to the hard drive and to memory.

The second error appears to be a boot issue - and it's looping just after it finishes with the network boot stuff.

The last error also refers to your hard drive.

I'd first try the Recovery Console (it's accessed by pressing R at the first screen during Windows XP setup) and enter these commands:

fixboot
fixmbr
bootcfg /rebuild

If that doesn't fix it, then I'd suggest downloading a free disk diagnostic (the bootable kind) from the website of your hard drive manufacturer. This'll allow you to boot to the test and see if it's a problem with your hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users