Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 Operating System Install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 viewmate

viewmate

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:29 PM

my monitor says no operating system found so i inserted the win 98 install disk is there any thing else i'm suppose to do so far all i see is the same message across the screen is there something else i'm suppose to do or does it take some time to load , do i need a windows setup disk or floppy boot install disk to start a new installation to gain access to the cd-rom drive and start installation setup ?.

(Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 15 May 2007 - 07:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:59 PM

After you insert the win 98 cd you need to restart your computer. The computer should enter the windows setup and allow you to reinstall 98.

Edit: This is assuming your CD-Rom is Atapi compatible and its set as your primary boot device. If your not sure, try and boot the computer with the cd-rom in. If you get the error no operating system, again. Your computer is not set to boot from the CD-Rom and you will need to change your bios settings.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 15 May 2007 - 06:01 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:00 PM

was your system working before you got the no o/s installed message ?

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:19 PM

After you insert the win 98 cd you need to restart your computer. The computer should enter the windows setup and allow you to reinstall 98.

I don't think the Win98se CD is bootable.

You need to get a boot disk of Bootdisk with CD Rom drivers. Then its best to put Format.com and Fdisk.exe on the boot disk. Format will format any drive you have and check for errors. Fdisk will allow you to setup partitions, thats if you want them.

How big is your hard drive? If you have a drive greater than 64Gb then you will need an updated Fdisk which is available from Bootdisk.

Once you set the boot sequence in the BIOS to boot from A: floppy. Start your computer up with the boot disk inserted. Once it starts up and you see the A:\ insert your Win98 CD in the CD Rom. If you only have one CD Rom the type in D: and enter. If the prompt changes to D:\ then you have suitable CD Rom drivers on the boot disk. If not then won't be able to access the Win98 CD.

Go back to the floppy disk type A: and enter. Then you can format your original drive if you only have one using Format C: and enter, just follow the instructions.

Once formatted change back to your CD Rom type D: and enter, then just type Setup to install Win98. :thumbsup:

Its a pity this forum doesn't allow you to upload files.

Edited by Keithuk, 16 May 2007 - 03:27 PM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users