Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking A Small Office

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gnixon72

gnixon72

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:07 PM

I work in a small office with about 10-12 desktops, pen tablets, and notebooks. the pen tablets are wireless, while just about everything else is wired with a cat 5 connection. There is also a server with windows server 2003 sbe with active directory. all the desktops, pen tablets, and notebooks are windows xp pro. All updates and patches have been done.

there are also two printers that are shared from two different desktops.

The internet connection is DSL, however, that part is fine, its the intra net that seems to be giving me the problems.

There is a linksys router model WRT54GX2 that provides the wireless and DHCP. There is also a 14 port switch as well.

The problem is that the router is having to be reset several times a week and the wireless keeps dropping the connection.

I kind of walked into this situation a couple of months ago and am looking for suggestions on what I can do to improve it. This is a small office with very limited money for an IT budget. So anything thats done would have to be with that in mind.

I think I can solve the wireless problem by centralizing the router better and perhaps getting an antenna extension kit for it. But the router constantly needing to be restarted is another problem altogether. What would cause this to happen so often? would using the server to handle the DHCP help or should I look into getting another router or perhaps a more sophisticated switch.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks
Greg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:16 AM

Switching the DHCP from the router to the server will help. Increasing the signal strength for wireless using an extension antenna should help as well. Try these first and see if the router issue clears up, if not then it may be time to look at getting a new router.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 gnixon72

gnixon72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:53 AM

Thanks, I switched the position of the router, put it in an area that is more open and centralized. I'm going to see if that helps

Reading up on this router and other issues, I've learned that heat might also be an issue with this and other routers. The router was essentially behind a LCD monitor and against the wall in kind of a confined space and this room isn't exactly to temperature specs either.

If I still get problems, I may go ahead and move DHCP to the server and go from there. once the wireless devices authenticates with the router, would those signals be able to get DHCP from the server as well?

Thanks

Greg

#4 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:08 PM

Actually the router will direct the DHCP request to the server where the authentication will take place.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users