Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"we Apologize" Screeen

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Mustache

Mustache

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:41 PM

Averatec 3250 Laptop running Win XP Home, about 2 years old. Problem Similar to MSZAW.
Blue "we apologize" screen, offers booting in safe mode and restoring to last good configuration and booting normally. Whatever I enter, it goes back to the same screen and eventually crashes. I put in the XP CD that came with the computer and it only offers to restore and wipe out all personal files.

I tried the XPCD that came with my emachines desktop, and it gives the choice of Restoring XP or Booting to command prompt from the cd. The command prompt that comes up is the A prompt(the CD player- there is no floppy). I can't remember how to switch to the C drive.

My cd drive seems to work Ok, but I don't know how to proceed.java script:emoticon(':thumbsup:', 'smid_15')
:flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:07 AM

I'd suggest backing up your information and using the Averatec disk.

You can backup using several different methods - anything to load the backup onto other media (CD's, flash drive, portable hard drive). You'll need a copy of BartPE or the UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) to get into the file system so you can copy your stuff. Just google for them and you'll be able to download them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:32 PM

Hi usasma,

This isn't my topic but I wanted to say thanks for the tip on UBCD. I'm off searching it up right now. Hey the stand alone SilentNight Micro Burner will do system backups too. I'm not sure if the free version does or not but I have the paid version and it does.

Anyway, thanks again for the heads up on that UBCD thing.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:26 PM

There's also the Ultimate Boot CD For Windows, a similar project to UBCD

#5 Mustache

Mustache
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:45 AM

I downloaded th UBCD on my other computer and uploaded it to my USB stick. I put it n the problem laptop USB port and tried to boot. The light on the stick flashed, but the same screen loaded. What am I doing wrong?

#6 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:34 AM

Did you set the BIOS to boot from USB device?
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#7 Mustache

Mustache
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:01 PM

Did you set the BIOS to boot from USB device?

Re the Bios change. In detail, I held down "delete" during the Averitec screen to bring me to the Ambios Hiflex Setup Utility, then to Advanced Cmos Setup, and put USB in the 1st Boot device place. When that brought me back to the blue screen, I loaded UBCD on a CD and changed the Ambios boot order, and then booted again with the same result. Any ideas why UBCD doesn't work?

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:25 AM

If it's not booting from the USB stick and it's not booting from the CD (presuming that you made the CD drive first in the boot order) - then it's likely that you've got some severe problems here.

If you're technologically minded, try removing the hard drive and then try booting. Same thing for the RAM. If neither works, then the you're looking at a major repair and would suggest that you run a system diagnostic on it. Unfortunately, the only one's that I know of cost over $400 - so your best bet may be a repair shop at this point.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:58 PM

Hi Mustache,

When you put that stuff on your memory stick did you look at it to see if the file that you copied to your stick was just one single file ending in .iso or if there were a bunch of other files on it?

If you only have the one file ending in .iso then you just copied the download to your CD or memory stick and that ain't gonna work. You have to remember to tell the CD Burner that you are doing an ISO burn so that it actually gets the files onto the CD where they can be used then copy them to the memory stick.

Hi Amazing Andrew,

I just read the comment that you left on this post and got all excited over the prospect of being able to make my own UBCD for Windows.

So I started Googling and wound up at this site --> http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm which seems to be pretty good but I kind of hit a snag when I got to paragraph 2.) where it talks about Windows XP CD with the service pack.

I'm thinking they are talking about SP1 & SP2 for Windows XP itself and not the CD burner, does anyone know if I'm right about that or is there a SP for the CD burner that I don't know about?

Thanks to anyone for any help here.

Wendy

Edited by Wendy K. Walker, 18 May 2007 - 04:15 PM.

TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:02 PM

Yes, they're talking about Windows XP Service Packs. Any CD burner should work fine for this project.

#11 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:19 PM

Hi Amazing Andrew,

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking that was what they meant but the way it is worded had me wondering. I just edited this post, check out what I told Mustache and let me know if I said that right OK?

I'm off to do my UBCD for windows now.

Thanks,
Wendy

#12 Mustache

Mustache
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:41 PM

There's also the Ultimate Boot CD For Windows, a similar project to UBCD

I downloaded UBCD again and put it to a CD. This time it was version 4.1.1, 121MB. I tried to boot with this, after making sure the bios was set to boot the CD first. It just went back to the blue screen as if It did not have the UBCD in the drive.

The first time i downloaded UBCD it was only 27 MB, so I guess I did not get it all then.

I think the full download of version 4.1.1 is 175 MB. Somehow I am not getting the whole download, even though it shows 100%. But I may not need all the MB, because I think I read that there were diagnostic programs included. Is there a particular site that some of you have had success downloading from?

#13 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:59 PM

Hi Mustache,

I have a sneaky feeling that I know what your problem is but before I say what I'm thinking I'd like to know if you got your download from this site--> http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm if not where are you downloading it from?

Wendy

#14 Mustache

Mustache
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:49 PM

Yes, I believe one of the downloads came from ubcd4win.com. I just googled ubcd and picked one of the first sites.

Moderator Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to be more dialup friendly. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 24 May 2007 - 12:40 AM.

#15 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:15 AM

Hi Mustache,

OK, let me ask that question in a different way... Can you give me the URL to each of the ones that you have downloaded and tried so far along with the name of the file that you downloaded from that site so that I can go take a look at it?

I kind of need that information so as not to be sounding like a pompous jackass by just tossing in my .05 worth on what I think your doing wrong without having any idea as to which download you're trying to use.

I just got trough downloading UBCD4Win v3.04 from the site that I gave you and as soon as I get off of here I'm gonna find out "IF" it works or not.

Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users