Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Won't Drive Read Cd?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:17 PM

Hi,
I sent an acquaintance 400 military pics off my hard drive to burn onto CD for me, he did it and has just sent the CD but nothing happens when I insert it into my CD drive, just odd whirrings and clickings as if its trying to read it, and the working hourglass icon stays on forever and I have to remove the CD to stop it..
My pal says his PC at home can read it fine..
Is there an XP Home setting somewhere I need to adjust?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:30 PM

Will your drive read anything else? Ask your friend if he closed the session when he burned the cd.

Edit: on a side note.. I think DVD rom drives are on the war path we have had ALLOT of post on them lately

Edited by Sneakycyber, 15 May 2007 - 06:31 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:09 PM

What happens when you put the disk into the drive, and then click on My Computer? Does the disk show on the appropriate drive? If so, can you then right click on the disk icon and look at the contents?
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 16 May 2007 - 08:38 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:33 PM

The drive works fine with everything else..
But with this CD as soon as I insert it and click My Computer and then click the D: drive, the drive begins whirring and hiccupping, the working light flashes like morse code, and the hourglass cursor stays on for ages with nothing happening, its as if the drive is struggling to recognise whats been inserted and my whole system continues like that.
The only way to stop it is to remove the CD then the system settles back to normal.
Tomorrow I'll ask my pal if he closed the session after burning the CD, maybe that'll give us a clue, I'm not PC literate myself..

#5 sbrown.uk

sbrown.uk

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:31 PM

Hi Mick

I trust you havent deleted the original pictures from your hard drive yet.
Many older CD drives will not read CDs that are created on newer drives.

Maybe its time you treated yourself to CD/DVD writer for your own machine.

Sim

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

If the session was closed, ask him if he has another brand of CD, that he could burn your images to.
Some CD/DVD drives can be picky, about the brand of CD used.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:35 PM

Also, I don't see where you state that you've tried that CD in some other PC, other than the one your friend created it on.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users