Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp- Windows\\system32\\config\\system Error

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dg1a

dg1a

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:09 AM

Hello,
Mom's computer- started up one day and received the following error - Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows/system32/config/sys
You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD select "R" to start repair-
Here's what I did- based on good advice I hope-
Rebooted from CD -windows recovery console then proceeded to do the following:
C: cd ..
attrib -h c:\\boot.ini
attrib -s c:\\boot.ini
Attrib -r c:\\boot.ini
del boot.ini
bootcfg/rebuild
chdsk/r/f
fixboot

Now when I reboot the following message appears:
Please select the following operating system to start-
Windows XP Home
or Windows XP Home Edition
Once I do this, I receive some sort of pop up indicating a password error
L.SASS.EXE system error
That is it just continues to boot like that no matter what I try to do-
Any advice would be much appreciated.
PS- She doesn't recall her system password either...
Mom is going crazy without her email LOL
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:23 AM

I would try using the system file checker.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:16 AM

Do you have Service Pack 2 installed on the system?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 dg1a

dg1a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:51 AM

Yes,
She installed service pack 2 a few months ago.
Dave

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:22 PM

I'd suggest a repair install of XP to fix this in the quickest manner possible. Here's a link with a how-to: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 dg1a

dg1a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:02 AM

Thanks Usasma,
Here's what happens-
I boot from xp cd
does its thing and then goes to this screen

Windows XP Home

No matter which I choose, it goes blank and then comes up with this:
some sort of pop up window indicating a password error but doesn't stay up fore more than 10 seconds
L.SASS.EXE system error

Then goes back to the this:

Windows XP Home
That is it just continues to boot like that no matter what I try to do-

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:09 AM

I suspect that it's not booting from the CD for some reason. You should be able to boot to the repair installation without getting the boot.ini screen.

Just follow the directions at the link that I've posted above. Don't forget to set the BIOS to boot from the CD first.

#8 dg1a

dg1a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:25 AM

Hey Usasma,
It is booting from the CD and I go through and I get to Windows setup ( not recovery console)- accept the license agreement , select the repair option -then it copies files etc and reboots- but it then gets a pop up window which says: "When trying to update status... this indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct" Press OK to continue"
But this screen only displays for 5 seconds whether or not you press enter and reboots again, and the pop up appears again, reboots , etc- It just continues in that loop.
So it appears to do its thing but some password issue appears??
Thanks
Dave

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:10 AM

Are you pressing R at the first screen or at the 3rd screen? The first R will take you to the Recovery Console and it will generally exhibit that kind of behavior (particularly the password prompt and OS selection).

At the 1st screen you've gotta tell it that you want to install Windows - that'll get you to the 3rd screen where the option to repair the current installation is located. To my knowledge, there's no password prompt anywhere in this procedure (I've done it many, many times).

#10 dg1a

dg1a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:48 PM

Hello Usasma,
Nope... not the first screen. I hit the "R" on the 3rd screen -the repair screen.
I'm getting frustrated...
Thanks
Dave

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:43 PM

I'd suspect either that your hard drive is dying or that there's a boot sector virus/problem on your system. A boot sector virus will require a low-level reformat of your hard drive (most likely) - and a bad hard drive will require a new hard drive.

So, I'd suggest downloading a bootable diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive (usually free) and booting to it to test your hard drive. If the hard drive isn't bad, then I'd go with the low-level reformat (also usually obtainable from the hard drive manufacturer)

#12 dg1a

dg1a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:11 AM

Hi again,
I hope this is still monitored. I was out of town but now back to fixing Mom's computer. I reloaded her Xp OS and to my surprise- it works!!! However, when I installed Service pack 2 suddenly the resolution on her screen is set to the lowest setting and now matter whjat I try it won't let me change it. She has a nice color flat screen monitor. Do you have any suggestions?
Secondly, as soon as I connected to the internet, I was spammed by registerycleaner.com, registryexpert.com popups. I tried smitfraud to no avail. any advice on this as well?
Thanks- I'm getting close to having this thing work again-
Dave

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:21 AM

SP2 has 2 issues that need to be dealt with before upgrading to it:
1) Malware
2) Drivers

When you connected to the web, did you have protection in place? If not, then you may be infected again.

Try these free, online scans:
http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Then try updating the drivers for the computer - particularly the motherboard/chipset drivers and the video driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users