Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Infected

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vickyyeung

vickyyeung

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:56 AM

My USB seem to be infected....
will it affect my PC?
and how can i remove the virus from USB?

thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rajeshontheweb

rajeshontheweb

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:31 AM

if u feel it is a virus, try Clamwin antivirus, built on ClamAV engine from www.clamwin.com and scan the portable drive..

Make sure u enable realtime protection in your antivirus when u insert the USB drive, do not open the drive with the autorum popup request...before scanning.. after clamav, run your regular antivirus again, just in case clamav didnt detect any of the viruses that are there...

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:36 AM

What made your think your USB is infected? Can't you open it anymore?
Do you see any files like autorun.inf or autorun.vbs?

#4 vickyyeung

vickyyeung
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:49 AM

Actually, my computer was suffered from malware, spylock, and two more viruses last week. At that moment, my USB was inserted in the PC. Then, I took away immediatedly. When I removed the virus, I forgot to scan the USB.
Today, I inserted the USB for openning a file. I used AVG to scan USB to check whether it was infected. Then, it said "1 file was healed successfully".
So, i dunno whether my USB is infected.

#5 rajeshontheweb

rajeshontheweb

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:34 AM

after u have scanned with AVG and clamav , u could try uploading the contents of the drive to virustotal.com and see if there are any infected files really left over (as long as the files are small in size - infection related malware are usually small in size and you dont have sensitive data that u may not want others to have a look at..)

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:35 AM

Did AVG provide any information as to what specific file was healed successfully? A virus can infect good files. When one of them is detected as bad, the anti-virus will treat it like a virus and attempt to "heal" or "repair it" (return the file to its original state).

There are, however, a number of malware types that can infect a flash drive. These are usually associated with error messages like "Cannot find script /autorun.vbs", "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive A:". Some will disable Task Manager, Registry Editor, Folder Options...Autorun.inf, Setup.exe and other .exe files may be found in the root of the drive.

Keeping Autorun enabled on USB drives has become a security risk. I recommend disabling the Autorun feature on USB drives as a method of prevention.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 vickyyeung

vickyyeung
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:12 AM

then, wht should i do now?
can i run the USB again, as i need to obtain a .doc?
if i run the USB and it is infected, will my PC being infected too?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:23 AM

Again I ask, did AVG provide any information as to what specific file was healed? That will help us determine what infection you had.

From what you have described so far, it does not appear to be a flash drive infection but you still may want to consider disabling the autorun feature for removable drives.

The easiest way to do this is to download and use Tweak UI PowerToy.
  • After installation, launch Tweak UI, double-click on My Computer in the tree menu on the left, then click on AutoPlay > Drives. This will allow you to change the system settings for AutoPlay/autorun.
  • Uncheck the drives you want to disable AutoPlay on and click on Apply.
  • Next, click on the Types in the left tree. This allows you to control whether Autoplay is enabled for CD and DVD drives and removable drives. You may need to restart Tweak UI if it closes after step 2.
  • Uncheck the box to disable Autoplay for a particular type of drive.
  • Click Apply.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users