Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe Crashes Or Won't Load

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ryanne

ryanne

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:54 AM

a few days ago I booted up my computer and the c:\windows\explorer.exe started but crashed within seconds, meaning the desktop icons disappear, all browser windows (excluding IE) disappear and the start bar goes away. I started it up through task manager's New Task... but it kept crashing. eventually I reformatted my computer because repair install wasn't an option. I was away from home for a few days, I came back yesterday and was on my computer for a little while, but then restarted and it's doing the same thing again. I scanned for viruses and spyware before and after the format (using AVG 7.5 and Spy Sweeper). I've restarted several times in the past half an hour and I've been messing around with the start up programs but nothing is working. sometimes if I open explorer.exe via Task Manager several times it sticks after a while, so right now I do have my start bar and desktop but usually all I see is the desktop b/g picture. I can get it to stick like it is now, but right when I restart and log on its gone again.

processor: intel celeron CPU 2.53ghz.
768mb of ram

edit: also a little while ago I got this message when trying to start explorer.exe through Task Manager:
Windows - No Disk
Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf9c 4 75b6bf9c 75b6bf9c

I'm not sure if it relates.

Edited by ryanne, 15 May 2007 - 04:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:59 AM

Explorer.exe repeatedly quits unexpectedly in Windows XP
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:36 AM

There's numerous issues like this on the web. Some folks associate it with Windows Update, some with AVG antivirus, some with CD software/identification (the most common), and some with a trojan.

So, I'd suggest that you run a couple of free, online scans here just to double check that there isn't a hidden infection:

http://safetly.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

After that, try uninstalling AVG (only TEMPORARILY - and disconnect the wire for your internet connection), putting good CD/DVD's in the drives and running the system to see if this helps.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:37 AM

There's numerous issues like this on the web. Some folks associate it with Windows Update, some with AVG antivirus, some with CD software/identification (the most common), and some with a trojan.

I just had this problem earlier today. After my dvd burning software "hicupped" and prematurely finished burning a dvd, the drive also wouldn't work properly (door wouldn't open or shut). I rebooted computer in order to get my dvd drive working again, and when windows restarted, explorer.exe did not nothing but crash and restart repeatedly (generating a new error message each time).

Fortunately I could still boot in safe mode, and after forum crawling for a while, I came across this thread and was able to fix my explorer.exe crash issue. I put a good, non-blank, dvd into the drive, allowed it to read the dvd, and then rebooted the computer again. The explorer.exe crash issue disappeared entirely. Apparently the dvd burner was looking for something to read, and this was somehow responsible for explorer.exe crashing over and over and over and over again.

A painless solution to a crippling problem, but I never would have discovered it save usasma's post.

P.S. I have been operating Windows XP for nearly two years now, and have had only two significant crash issues. In both instances my salvation has come from posters at bleepingcomputer.com. Thank you very much.

Edited by yu gnomi, 01 September 2008 - 03:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users