Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows me

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mijo

mijo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 16 January 2005 - 06:10 PM

I have inherited a computer with windows me/have a boot disk. have done scan disk all from dos to repair errors/but when trying to load win me,a shutdown occurs with the message that the isl manager helper will not load-so the computer either shuts off on a normal boot-w/out the boot disk or sits/do no have a copy of windows me and i need to know where to find it to make windows work, i think.-I want windows me, stupid as it may seem, to play my favorite old computer games, which will not run on xp-probably because i don't know how to make them-please help. I am tired of getting up at four and getting frustrated for the day because of my ignorance-thanks! Please note- have been told the computer has a virus, but i can't even get windows to turn on to take care of the problem. Bring out the dynamite? Dos will operate so far. :thumbsup: :trumpet: :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 08:09 PM

Try booting into Safe mode. Turn on the computer and tap F8 repeatedly and you will come to a dos like screen. pick safe mode. When you get there go to Start>Run and type in msconfig and press ok. Uncheck everything except explorer and systray. Write down everything that is checked as you do it. Reboot normally (hopefully).

Post back with the list of startup items and we'll take it from there.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 mijo

mijo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:29 PM

Cannot even get into safe mode/when any kind of windows mode tries to load then the computer shuts down...............think i need to reinstall win me??? need to find out where to get it.??

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2005 - 01:03 PM

The fact that you can boot with a boot disk indicates that your problem is hardware related. Go to the Safe Mode screen and do a step by step confirmation and say no to autoexec.bat and config.sys and loading drivers.

If you feel comfortable opening the case, remove any expansion cards installed (modem, NIC, sound card, etc) so that all you have left is the video card. It will boot without a mouse. Try to boot now.

Edited by Leurgy, 17 January 2005 - 01:23 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users