Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Massive Lag Spikes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 maurer

maurer

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:02 AM

hey guys my problem is that my cpu will always be at 100% usage when i run certain programs for some unkown reason, i have an acer laptop with over 1gb of ram so what i am doing should not be eating up so much memory i wouldnt think, this in turn will lag programs and things such as videos on youtube for example.

i just got off another topic area and i am sure that my computer is 100% spyware/virus/malware free but these lag spikes are still occurring

please does anyone have any ideas!?!? :thumbsup:

is a log of some sort needed for more info?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:14 AM

Which programs are giving you problems?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:25 AM

I just finished looking at your logs from the Hijack this forum: I saw that you Have or had eMule and Ultratorrent. Your high cpu usage may come from those programs communicating the files in your shared folders or looking for files that you are attempting to get.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 maurer

maurer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:28 AM

things such as I explorer, msn and virus scans are the catalysts for the spikes, i am fairly sure that it is not emule or utorrent as they have not been running during the spikes but i will un install them just to make sure.

this is extremely frustrating and any additional help is much appreciated

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:32 AM

I would try running the system file checker.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:28 AM

The torrents will take up processing power when they're running - that's the whole point of file-sharing (you share yours).

Is it your RAM (memory) or your CPU (processor) that is running at 100%? Virus scans will eat up as much of your system as they can - they are very active programs. What happens when the scans stop?

The MSN and Explorer issues could be related to file system corruption from a virus that's been removed. Sometimes the virus will destroy parts of the OS that aren't apparent at the first look. If so, that calls for the SFC.EXE tool that Budapest recommended.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users