Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connections Problems With Laptop.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Franksi

Franksi

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:26 PM

I have one PC, two wireless laptops, and an xbox 360 working on my router. Two days ago, this laptop started disconnecting every ten minutes or so. The small icon on my taskbar says that I am not connected, when I am. On occasion it says I am connected, but soon disconnects. This is the only machine that has this problem. Anyone know what's going on

Edit- Sorry about the grammar in the topic, I was rushed. D:

Edited by Franksi, 14 May 2007 - 08:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:38 PM

Well, this could be a couple things. I would start by making sure that you have the most up-to-date drivers for your wireless. You can usually find them on the manufacturers sites. If that doesnt help, I would make sure that nobody is trying to steal your wireless WEP key. Many people can do this using a number of different UNIX builds. Might want to check your event viewer also (Start>control panel>administrative tools>Event Viewer), look under the system logs for any TCPIP errors, or DHCP. Please post the following:

EVENT ID
SOURCE
DESCRIPTION

Give me your results

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Franksi

Franksi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:05 PM

I have multiple Warnings for DHCP, and one for Server.
The Dhcp warnings span from 5/9/07 to 5/18/07. They are all 1003, 1007, and 1001 event IDs.
The descriptions include not being able to renew the network from the DHCP(1003), automatically configuring the IP for the network card(1007), and not being assigned an address from the network (1001).

The server warning had an event ID of 2504,
and description included "not being able to the transport/device/Net_BT_Tcpip_ "etc.

Also, when you say to download an up to date driver for my wireless, do you mean my wireless router, or something in my laptop?

Edited by Franksi, 18 May 2007 - 07:17 PM.

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:35 PM

You could look for both. Usually laptops now a days have built in wifi cards. If its a dell lappy, go to dell.com and look for updates etc. You could also go to your routers manufacture site and look for a "Firmware" upgrade. One other thing you can try is resetting the router just by unplugging it and plugging it back in from power.

Gavin Seabrook

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:10 AM

2 things that I'd suggest checking for:

1) Any electrical appliances (especially cordless ones) near the router or the laptop. They can interfere with the signal.
2) Move the laptop close to the wireless router - do you still get disconnected as often?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Franksi

Franksi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

I moved it closer and reset the router, the problem remained. I am connected, but the small icon still shows me not being connected. I have a Toshiba laptop and a linksys router, but can't find any driver or firmware upgrades, any links would be appreciated.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:44 AM

Does this happen after a period of inactivity - or does it happen even if you're continually using the network?

I'd suggest checking the router by using another laptop on it - and check the laptop by using it on another network. I suspect that this has something to do with the settings on the laptop, but don't know exactly which one it would be.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Franksi

Franksi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:43 PM

It happens about every ten minutes, when I'm active. The router is fine, I have another older wireless Toshiba using it without a problem. I don't know anyone else with a wireless router to test the laptop on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users