Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabling Autoplay/autorun W/ Tweakui

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:17 PM

In TweakUI, under My Computer --> AutoPlay --> Types, I've removed the checkmarks next to both "CD and DVD drives" and "removable drives" because I don't want them to automatically run or play anything (for a variety of safety reasons).

However, in TweakUI under My Computer --> AutoPlay --> Drives, I still have checkmarks next to C: (main hard drive), D: (restore partition), and E: (cd/dvd drive).

Why would AutoPlay need to be active for your hard drive(s) here?

Does aving both the "CD and DVD drives" and "removable drives" unchecked in "Types" supersede having the cd/dvd drive checked in "Drives"?

And regardless, I'm uncertain about the hard drives and the settings in "Drives" in general and why they're set the way they are...

Any thoughts?

Can/should I uncheck C:, D:, and E:? Or do any of these need to remain checked for AutoPlay for some reason I don't know about?

Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:21 PM

I don't think that it'll hurt either way. Autoplay is primarily designed for removable media - which the hard drives aren't (and since they aren't removable, they won't start the Autoplay wizard since they won't have new content loaded in a mode that invokes the Autoplay wizard.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:37 AM

I don't think that it'll hurt either way. Autoplay is primarily designed for removable media - which the hard drives aren't (and since they aren't removable, they won't start the Autoplay wizard since they won't have new content loaded in a mode that invokes the Autoplay wizard.

Thanks for the reply. So are you saying that removing the checkmarks next to both "CD and DVD drives" and "removable drives" in My Computer --> AutoPlay --> Types definitely does supersede the settings under My Computer --> AutoPlay --> Drives (meaning that as long as I have those two things unchecked, it doesn't matter if I leave the various drives checked in My Computer --> AutoPlay --> Drives?

Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:25 PM

I think that's right - but to be sure, check it by inserting disks in the drives to be sure that it works.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:11 PM

I think that's right - but to be sure, check it by inserting disks in the drives to be sure that it works.

That's how I actually have it set now (and did already), with the two things unchecked in My Computer --> AutoPlay --> Types, but the drives still checked (by default) in My Computer --> AutoPlay --> Drives.

This was the manner in which I disabled AutoPlay/AutoRun... my drive revs up when I put a disc in, but no folder or anything pops up.

So it sounds like there's no reason to uncheck the drives then?

Thanks!

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:43 AM

The drive revs up to check the disk and start to load it into memory. That's so the computer knows what's going on. For example, if you open Windows Explorer, you'll need to see what's on that drive - so Windows loads that information in the background.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" :thumbsup:

#7 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:05 AM

The drive revs up to check the disk and start to load it into memory. That's so the computer knows what's going on. For example, if you open Windows Explorer, you'll need to see what's on that drive - so Windows loads that information in the background.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" :thumbsup:

Okey-doke... I'll leave all drives checked as described since it seems having that other stuff unchecked takes care of having AutoPlay/AutoRun disabled for the dvd-drive...

And I guess it has no bearing on the C: drive and D: partition, since they don't/can't AutoPlay/AutoRun, is that correct...?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:01 AM

Right, it won't work on the C: or D: partitions of your hard drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users