Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Wont Boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mszaw

mszaw

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:13 PM

Hello,

Recently my computer turned off for no reason and when I restarted it, it said there had been an improper shu down. It gave me the black screen with my different options (safe mode, last known configuration that worked, etc). So I tried all the options listed one at a time, but each time it would just restart itself and go back to that same screen with the options listed.

Using windows XP by the way. I am not sure if it is Home or Pro, but I have discs for both.

So, figuring there was little else I could do at this point, I put in my windows xp CD and tried to boot windows from the disc. It didnt work either, even after I changed the BIOS to read the CD first. It didnt read either of the XP CD's, but it did read a Windows 98 CD I tried.

I figured I'd reinstall windows 98 so at least I can get INTO windows, and then I'd just update to windows XP. So from the CD, it brought me to the painful blue windows 98 screen with the instructions. I said install windows now, do not erase the files.

HOWEVER, it Freezes just a few steps into this setup, so I cant even do that. It freezes and then the computer turns itself off.

My friend said she had the same problem recently and she was able to get it repaired without losing her files. I actually dont care that much if I lose my files or not since the majority of them are backed up. I just need a working computer, and this is frustrating because only a few months ago I spent over $100 to have this one repaired and now it is not working again.

Any suggestions, things I should try, surefire cures, or shared experiences and recoveries that anyone can offer poor little me?

Much appreciated!

Edited by mszaw, 14 May 2007 - 06:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:00 PM

Most problems of this sort are caused by hardware failures. I say this because you've tried multiple CD's without success. And, since the CD's start to work, I presume that your CD drive is good (although it may be failing - and this could also cause the problem).

So, the most likely place to suspect is your hard drive. I'd suggest downloading a bootable diagnostic CD from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive. That'll tell you if the hard drive is bad. If you can't get the test to run - then we're back to troubleshooting your CD drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 mszaw

mszaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:17 PM

An update:

When I try to read the WIN XP CD's I get the message "Error loading operating System".

When I read the WIN 98 CD it gives me the options of Reinstalling windows from the CD-ROM, or starting the computer with CD ROM support, or without CD ROM support. I choose the second option, With CD ROM Support.

An "A:\" shows up and blinks. I know I'm supposed to type something in here, but I have no idea what. Anyone that can help??

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:40 PM

First you'll have to locate your CD drive. Type the following commands to locate the CD Drive (pressing Enter after each one):

dir c:
dir d:
dir e:
dir f:
etc, etc, etc

Look at the results of each directory listing and see if you can identify the Win98 disk from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 mszaw

mszaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:44 AM

Hi usasma, thanks for replying... so I did what you said and this came up when I typed dir d:

Volume in drive D is WIN98
Directory of D:\
Addons <DIR>
Autorun INF
CD sample <dir>
Drivers <dir>
Readme txt
Setup Exe
Setuptip txt
tools <dir>
win98 <dir>
4 file(s)
5 dir(s)

and then back to the blinking A:\>

So... now what?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:15 AM

Type

D:\setup.exe

and then press Enter

That should start the installation process.

#7 mszaw

mszaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:08 PM

Hi again...

Well I did what you said and typed d:\setup.exe, which did begin to do the setup installation,

but then I got this message:

Please wait while setup initializes.
Scanning sytem registry...
Cannot create a temporary directory. If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your hard drive you will need to create an MS-DOS boot partition to set up windows.
A:\>

Of course I don't know what that means, nor do I know if I have HPFS or NTFS installed. Can anyone help me with my baby steps towards reinstalling windows?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:12 AM

It appears that your WindowsXP installation has formatted your drive with the NTFS file system (I'm presuming that this is the case). If true, then you'll have to format the hard drive to FAT32. You can download a free boot disk from here: http://www.bootdisk.com/

That being said, I would strongly recommend that you download a bootable hard drive diagnostic from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive. All of the hard work that you're doing won't be worth squat if the hard drive is toast!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users