Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setup Files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:07 PM

not very sure where this needs to go, sorry!

i'm buying a new laptop (lenovo thinkpad T60p with WinXP) through my school's laptop program, but i won't be able to get the laptop until i move in during august. i have many software programs that i know i will immediately install on the laptop (AIM, ccleaner, comodo firewall, etc). instead of spending a few hours installing the software programs, can i download the set up file for each program and burn it to a CD or copied to a thumbdrive, and once i get the laptop, just install everything from that CD instead of going from site to site? i think i can, and it sounds like a redundant question, but i'd hate to go through the trouble of downloading all of those files to my thumbdrive and then have it not work :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:12 PM

AS long as they are the freeware applications of the programs then you should be able to download them to your thumb drive and run the installs from there.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 ambellina

ambellina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:14 PM

AS long as they are the freeware applications of the programs then you should be able to download them to your thumb drive and run the installs from there.

great, thanks very much!

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:31 PM

I save all of my setup files, that I've downloaded.
Comes in handy some times, as in your case.
Also, sometimes you download an update to a program, and you find it doesn't work on your system, or doesn't have the features of the older version, then you can go back and reinstall the older version, because you will have saved it.
At this time, my setup files folder, is 1.37 GB in size, and I just cleaned it out. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users