Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defrag problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wazz

wazz

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 16 January 2005 - 05:25 PM

Hello everyone, I am sooooo new to the computer scene. I have been using Webtv for the last 5-6 years, but the websites I can visit has slowing been shrinking and now most of my favorites I cannot access. Sop I bought this used computer and trying to figure stuff out as I go.
Someone told me I should defrag my hard drive, well I finally figured out what that meant. When I run the defrag it gets to 10% and the message is "Drive contents changed Restoring" ...What does this mean??
Can someone steer me in the right direction?
Thanks
Wazz... :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 16 January 2005 - 05:33 PM

Welcome to BC wazz :thumbsup: Thanks for registering.

The question you have on defragging is a very common one. Basically it means that something is being written to the hard drive at the same time that you are defragging. I would suggest that you disable the screen saver before doing the defrag. You can just turn off the monitor and check it every once in a while. If it has not been defragged in a while (or ever) the best time to run it would be overnight.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 05:56 PM

Hi wazz

What is your operating system?

In order to run defrag you need to disable any programs running in the background. Once we know your OS we can tell you how to do that.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 06:01 PM

If there are programs running in the background, such as An Antivirus program or a Firewall. These will be writing to the drive and Defrag will not complete. The best thing to do is go into Safe Mode. This prevents these from running at startup. Then the defrag will go smoothly. While in Safemode. You might as well run ScanDisk also. You should find it in the same area where you found the Defrag. It will not run for the same reasons as Defrag. So there you go. :thumbsup:

Edited by scarlett, 16 January 2005 - 06:02 PM.

Posted Image

#5 wazz

wazz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 06:03 PM

Its windows 98 second edition.
Wazz...

What is the safemode?
I have McAfee virus and Zonealarm firewall.

Edited by wazz, 16 January 2005 - 06:07 PM.

#6 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 16 January 2005 - 06:08 PM

Directions to put your computer in Safe Mode can be found here.

You will have to turn your computer off before you can do this step, so you may want to make sure that you have all your work saved before starting.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 10:34 PM

Once you get into safe mode (there will be an ugly screen with several options, usually 3 is start in safe mode) run scandisk first, and make sure the box is checked for it to automatically fix any errors it finds, then run defrag. Depending on how much you have on your hard drive, this may take some time, especially if you have not done it before.

You are using "safe mode" because it will launch Windows with only those programs absolutely necessary running; this way applications and other parts of Windows that are always accessing the file system for some reason or another, will not do so.

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 wazz

wazz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:34 AM

Thanks so much for the help, I got it to work and learned a few things along the way. I'm sure you will hear from me again.
Again thanks
Wazz... :thumbsup:

#9 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:08 AM

Fantastic! :thumbsup: Just remember to defrag and scandisk every so often. I used to do it once a week. But now maybe once a month. Sufficent enough I guess.

It is also a good idea to scan for virus', and adware/spyware in safemode. Especially if you sense that there is something going on.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users