Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Do It?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 moha

moha

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:42 PM

hi everyone
i live with a group of my frinds in the same building and e have a lan
one of us has the dsl modem in his flat
i have an 8port switch in my flat
i recently bought a wireless router and would like to go wirless as i had two desktops and one laptop
what i want to know is that can i take a connection from the switch to the wirelss router and if how can i do it
thank u for ur expected help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:23 PM

of course u can,
i think u can connect the switch with the router through a crossed UTP cable and give the router the appropriate TCP/IP configuration

i'm not sure if it is 100 % right , give it a try or wait for another reply.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#3 moha

moha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:38 PM

is it a crossed or a straight cable

#4 rhonus

rhonus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:22 AM

is it a crossed or a straight cable

Hi
I use a straight through cable to connect my wireless router to my 8 port hub. On mine port 8 is an automatic uplink port. In other words if the cable need to be a crossed cable the unit itself does the crossing on this port.

Depending on how old your hub is you might have to select uplink by depressing a switch. Your hub should tell you near one of the ports which one can be used for uplink. If there is no indication then it might not be possible. In which case refer to the hubs manual or check the internet for information on your hub to see if it is possible.

#5 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:47 AM

Usually when u wanna connect a switch to router u should use a crossed cable but the thing is that some on the switches ports come crossed and u can know wish port is crossed by checkin if there is an X mark on that port , so if u wanna connect ur router to an crossed port use the straight cable or else use the crossed cable.

cheers.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users