Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking Computers With Different Windows Operating Systems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CindyK

CindyK

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:14 PM

Hi everyone,

I am having a problem networking my printer to my new laptop which is running Windows Vista. Let me see if I can explain my problem. I have 2 desktop computers that run Windows XP (one I use for work and one is for my family to use). I have one printer that we use for both computers. I recently bought a laptop with Windows Vista. I am trying to get the printer to work with all 3 computers. I have followed the procedure just as I did when networking the 2 desktops, but it won't work. My question is this--do all of the computers on the network need to be running the same version of windows or will it work if the host is running a diffrent version than the laptop. Thanks in advance for any insight/suggestions/help anyone can give me.

CindyK

PS-I hooked the printer directly to the laptop via USB cable and I could get it to work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:22 PM

IT could be possible that the XP drivers are not compatible with the Vista OS. Most likely. There is a way around this if you can connect the printer to the router using an external print server then install the vista drivers on the laptop and connect to the printer using a standard TCP/IP port.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 mischievous

mischievous

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:35 PM

not sure if this idea will be practical for you but when I had a similar problem ie desktop xp, laptop xp and destop 98, I couldn't get the printer to share onto my 98. I tried all the usual route's till someone here told me that the xps could roll back so attach my printer to the 98 desktop instead of the xp one and it worked a treat. Now all 3 can access the printer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users