Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When I Restart My Computer, Everything Vanishes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 guudkarma

guudkarma

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:47 AM

I have a Hewlitt Packard Vectra XE 310 series 2 with Windows XP home edition on it.

Looking back, I had a problem for about the previous two weeks with my computer trying to install Adobe and it wouldn't for some reason.

About two weeks ago, I started ny computer and had an error on it that ended in .dll. (i disconnected my d-drive because that is where all of my saved files, pictures, music and stuff is) I tried to use the XP disk to repair it... 4 times... and it didn't work...so I re-installed XP. It took a little work, but I got the computer back on my network, and go onto the internet, very proud of myself for what I had accomplished.

Then, I started my computer, hooked the d-drive back up, and went to Incredimail and downloaded 2500 emails and stationaries and stuff from Hotmail and Yahoo (for some groups that I have joined in Yahoo 360). I spent hours organizing these. everything was working fine... or at least that is what i thought. I turned off the computer and went to bed that night.

I got up the next morning and went to check my e-mail and when I went to Incredimail, it started up just like it had not ever been started before. It asked me for my e-mail addresses and everything. I had cleaned up my hotmail, so(turned it back off and disconnected my d-drive), I installed the 14 e-mails that were in my hotmail account. I then went to Outlook and downloaded the same 14 emails from hotmail to see what would happen. I turned off the computer, turned it back on, and everything was lost. I then saved a favorite and turned it off and back on again. Again, everything was lost... it won't even let me save a favorite. I re-saved my 14 emails to outlook and re-saved them to Incredimail (starting from scratch), left the computer on, and went to work thinking that as long as I didn't turn off the computer it would not erase my stuff. When I came home that night (5.5 hour later, I went to my computer to see what had happened. My Incredimail and Outlook were gone!! So much for my idea that as long as I don't turn it off, my stuff was safe.

i went into my computer to see what type of help I could get from Windows and called the 800#. A rude foreign woman answered the phone and asked me to find my version of Windows. I read it to her and it has OEM in the number, so she said that she could not help me (I remember purchasing this and we paid cash for a brand new disk... from a computer place that was going out of business, we got it for a good deal and decided to upgrade my computer from ME to XP...a few years ago). she suggested that I call HP and ask for help. I called them and got a nice lady who spoke english, who told me that my warranty had expired, and that she thought that I had a problem with my software., that I needed to go to www.partsurfer.hp.com and ask about a recovery cd. she also gave me the number of a "local" dealer in my area (90 miles away). I went to the site, didn't know what I was looking at, and called the number. I reached a nice man who told me to go to the start menu, go up to updates, and keep updating until I had nothing left to update. He said that i just needed to do this and it would work fine. I spent 4 or 5 hours doing this. I finished, rebooted as asked, made a backup cd, downloaded my 14 emails into Outlook, turned it off again, turned it back on, and guess what? nothing was in my Outlook... same problem... I don't know what to do now...

I am obviously not a computer genius and I am at my wits-end. Then only suggestion that I have had is to replace that battery thingy in my mother board and I am going to do that today.

Any ideas????

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions or pep-talks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:45 PM

I'm a bit confused by your post - what is the major problem that you have right now?

Have you tried scanning for viruses and spyware? If not, try these free, online scans:

http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 guudkarma

guudkarma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:20 AM

my problem now is that i cannot keep anything on my computer for any length of time because it keeps disappearing. i cannot save anything. no e-mail, no outlook, no favorites, no files, no pictures, no passwords, it asks me to install adobe every time something with text comes up, i would like to be able to save stuff. .
i can get onto the internet, and browse, but that is it.

thank you for your reply. i will try those...

i replaced the battery in the motherboard and nothing happened.

should i format my harddrive so that i can reinstall xp?

it wont do a system check or a mapping fo the hard drive. it keeps telling me that i need to restart so that it can begin the scan, but when it restarts it forgets what it is doing and when i go back into it to restart the scan, it tells me that i need to restart the computer.

Edited by guudkarma, 16 May 2007 - 06:23 AM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:29 AM

I would try running the System File Checker.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users