Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Freezes As Soon As Pppoe Connection Is Made Through Windows

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 seedsofchaos

seedsofchaos

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:29 AM

I have a buddy whose system I've been working on lately and I ran into something that I've never seen before.

He has a Speedstream 4200 modem that if in dummy/bridge mode you can connect fine through his Linksys router. Everything works fine that way. However he recently sold his router and now when trying to connect using Windows PPPoE the system locks up as soon as it connects. It will say his connection is now connected but the entire system is locked at that point.

If you put the modem into what I call "router mode" where you can put in his PPPoE information (UN/PW etc) it says that the 'local area connection is still busy' and won't connect. I've actually seen this probably a lot with these modems and it's usually just a problem with the PC dealing with the GUI of the modem.

So I'm at a loss. I can't get him connected in "router mode" and I can't bridge the dang thing and connect him via Windows PPPoE because his whole system locks up.

He's using Windows XP SP 2.

Any suggestions?

Moved from the XP Forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 14 May 2007 - 09:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:40 AM

Unplug the modem and turn all of the computer off. Wait one minute and plug the modem in. After the modem finishes it's boot turn all of the computers on. This should reset the LAN.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 seedsofchaos

seedsofchaos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:50 AM

Negative. Wish it was that simple. Even tried resetting it and bridging the modem again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users