Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Has My Ip Address Suddenly Changed?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Southstreet

Southstreet

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:41 AM

I hope this is the correct forum to post this question.

I checked my IP address recently on an internet site and wrote it down, but tonight I checked it again and noticed that it was completely different to the one I had written down earlier. Is this cause for concern? To be honest I really don't understand the significance of an IP. Maybe someone could enlighten me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:18 AM

Hi Southstreet.
If you're on dial-up that is normal and is controlled by your isp. It's called a "dynamic" address.
A "Static" address is one that will never change, such as one provided by a high speed cable connection.
The first couple of paragraphs here explain what an IP Address is.

#3 Southstreet

Southstreet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:03 AM

Thanx for your your reply HitSquad. I am not on dial up though. I have a broadband connection.
I'm not really that worried about it I guess, I'm just curious. I was on a different forum and a member had a pic in his signature that was of a funny little creature holding a signpost that displayed all my details including who my net server is, what version of IE I am using, what version of windows I am running and my IP addy....so I got a little anxious and PM'd him about it and he told me not to worry because I was the only one who could see it. I kinda hope that's true.

#4 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:12 AM

i asked on here about that sign and was assured by one of the global mods that the signs were ok i think they are made by danasoft.com and can only be seen by you.
hope that helps
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#5 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:24 PM

Most broadband connections are dynamic as well. They lease you an ip address for a specific amount of time and then it will change. Typically a lease is 7 days long. At least that is the way it works in Canada.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:29 PM

My isp is cox, they also use dynamic ip addresses as well. As far as those little signs, they are not always accurate, I am always identified to the correct address provided by cox, but my main computer in my profile, always seems to be identified as windows xp -- Not.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,735 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:31 PM

IP leases can be as short as one hour or less. Here on my work computer I just checked and the lease is for 8 hours. On a broadband connection, it is quite common for you to get the same IP issued over and over again, but that is not always the case.

In any case, what you see is not a problem.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#8 northerner125

northerner125

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:09 PM

you get privacy if it changes so you aren't logged what you do. well you are but its safer ie. hackers. so they cant keep track of you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users