Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Red X On Picture Thumbnail In Help

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:01 AM

I've had this problem before in Windows XP but don't know what to do with it in Vista. My pictures all come through properly but when I went to help, I am finding a red x (in a box) next to the graphic image for the subject I am in.

Had problems with the "Com Surrogate not working error" and have it solved by uninstalling the current DivX, Nero, and Urge. Have not had the problem since. I did upgrade to the most current DivX so I don't think that is the problem.

Any help would sure be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:03 AM

:huh: hi jazzman
not sure in vista but in xp
when anything like that happens i just right click and select show picture
hope that helps
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:23 PM

Most likely it's a setting in your browser or a security program that you're using.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:01 PM

John,

Would sure appreciate any suggestions. I am using Webroots Spy Sweeper but have not had this problem with it before.

If it is the browser, what do I need to look for to correct it.

Driving me crazy. Thought about paying M$ the $59.00 for help. I was on one site that suggested I reinstall everything. I really don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

JazzMahn

p.s. It isn't affecting the way the computer functions. It just looks bad every time I go to Help.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:48 AM

Try disabling SpySweeper temporarily and see if that helps.

Try resetting your IE settings to default and see if that helps.

Try searching the MS Knowledge Base for similar issues. Here's an article that seems to describe your problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283807/en-...&sid=global

FWIW - in the past when I had this problem, I reinstalled the OS to fix it. I hope that this isn't the fix for you!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:36 AM

John,

The only time I am getting the red x is in Help and Support. I used to have this problem on web pages I visited but that is not the problem for me. Just on the picture (or graphic image) when I go to Help and Support.

I checked under Default Programs and when I went down the list of extensions associated with a specific program all the extensions listed for Help and Support were listed as "unknown program".

I have a feeling this might have happened after I uninstalled Nero. It is a good program but wants to take over your computer's default settings.

Going to try M$ even if I have to pay (the joys of OEM-provide your own support) before I reinstall. That is the only problem the computer is having. If they can fix it without a reinstall, my time is worth more than $59.00.

Will keep you posted. If you have any other thoughts, let me know. Thought maybe reinstalling Nero. What do you think.

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:16 AM

You're right about Nero wanting to take over everything! Before you call MS; uninstall Nero, clean all temps, defrag and reboot. See if the problem is still there.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:29 PM

My Help and Support files are also listed as Unknown Program - and they work just fine.

Try checking the association for .xml files. If it's not listed as the XML Editor, change it to that. http://www.windows-now.com/blogs/kmkenney/...nd-support.aspx

#9 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:45 PM

John,

I wiped out Nero. Even went into the registry and wiped out any instance of Nero. I also did a complete defrag. Used Ccleaner and cleaned out all internet temp files, etc. Cleaned out history, all my cookies, and restarted. Same problem. I went to default file associations and under .xml it showed XML Document and the current default as Internet Explorer.

I did download the registry fix for help to restore defaults but I am still getting the same problem with red x's.

Do I need to change the default from Internet Explorer to something else? Let me know.

Thanks,

JazzMahn

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:19 AM

I'd give another browser a try (Firefox is free and available here: http://www.mozilla.com )

It won't fix your problem, but it'll let you know if the problem is with IE or deeper in the OS.

#11 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:59 AM

I can't believe how simple the answer was. I went to settings in help and there was a box to check asking if I wanted to include online help in my search for assistance. I checked the box and all of a sudden all the red x's turned into graphic images. Problem solved. Saved myself paying M$ $59.00.

Feel ignorant that I hadn't tried that but at least now I know. I hope it can help someone else.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

JazzMahn :huh:

#12 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:17 AM

I've had the same problem in Firefox and never have solved it. I have wondered whether it is something to so with the speed of the server at the other end or the connection or the type of image used.
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:24 AM

I'm glad that you fixed it! And, this'll give others a way to figure it out when they come looking! :huh:

#14 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:52 AM

Post Script:

I was able to correct the problem when I am online. For the heck of it I looked at the help and support tab when I was offline and the red x's were back. Normally the first thing I do is go online so at least for me the problem is solved as I would normally be on line when I look.

Don't know if this is a complete solution but it works for me. No $59.00 for M$.

JazzMahn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users