Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Page Changed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:43 AM

Howdy,

When I click on my home page instead of the intended site I am getting a site full of advertisements calling itself by the same name.

I Googled the proper site and it shows up. When I click on it the same thing happens. I have had this same site as my home page for 4 years. It is a fishing web site that includes different forums etc; Very similar to Bleeping Computers set up.

Now all I get is this. http://www.tidalfish.com/

I downloaded Zone Alarm as my firewall just before this started happening.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Dennis :thumbsup:

EDIT: I happened to be on another fishing related web site and saw a post from a frequent visitor to the site I am trying to log on to. His post indicated that he was having the same access problems as I am having. Apparently the site itself is having problems and it is not on my end after all.

Thanks,

Dennis

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 14 May 2007 - 08:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .Reedie

.Reedie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:17 AM

Try changing the home page settings on your browser, close the browser down and then open it back up again and see what happens.

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:36 AM

Thanks for the reply.
I changed my home page to Yahoo. When I log on it works fine.

Just to mention.

When I try to get on the fishing site from my favorites I have the same problem.

I other fellow I mentioned said he is ending up with a site advertising mattresses. :thumbsup:

Maybe the site got hacked ??

Dennis :flowers:

#4 .Reedie

.Reedie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:22 AM

That MAY be a possibility but i would run a Spyware scan and Definitly an Adware scan such as Lavasoft Ad-Aware.

See what that picks up. Have you tried with another browser? Such as Firefox, ect?

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:31 AM

I ran SpyBot, Ad-Aware and AVG Free. They all came up clean other than 1 tracking cookie.

I do not have another browser set up.

I thought it especially odd that when I type in TidalFish in google the site shows as the very first choice but when I clicked on it up pops the wrong page. All of the other sites I have stored in my favorites are working fine.

Dennis

Edited by Dennis H, 14 May 2007 - 06:32 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:34 PM

The page that you cited is what looks to be a placeholder that's used to direct traffic for it's own purposes.

It looks like the domain name was purchased on 12 May 2007 by www.enom.com . Here's a link to the WhoIs: http://www.whois.net/whois_new.cgi?d=tidalfish&tld=com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:38 PM

The page that you cited is what looks to be a placeholder that's used to direct traffic for it's own purposes.

It looks like the domain name was purchased on 12 May 2007 by www.enom.com . Here's a link to the WhoIs: http://www.whois.net/whois_new.cgi?d=tidalfish&tld=com

You are right on the money. The guy that owns\owned the site apparently either did not renew or sold the domain name. The site has been around for several years. Approximately 50,000 registered members.

Maybe he got fed up with it ,or got a good price.

Thanks for the information.

Dennis :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users