Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Library Books.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:53 AM

Do you folks still get time to read books from the library? I know that I spend so much time these days sitting at the computer that I hardly go to the library any more, and don't read anywhere as much as I should.

However, in saying that, I came across an interesting service the other day which will keep track of your borrowing and advise you when your books are coming due, and other related services, which will help avoid overdue fines.

It is a worldwide service and you can check it out at http://www.libraryelf.com

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:48 AM

I used to use my state library online system where they could send me a book I wanted that was on another island, or reserve a book that I wanted.
I hardly get to go to the library anymore. I take my niece when she's here; she likes to go when they read stories.
Thanks for that link, I'll check it out when I get home. :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#3 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:17 AM

not been to a libary in years tend to buy books instead .
:thumbsup:
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:16 AM

I haven't had a library card in years, I belong to Science Fiction Book Club and get most of my books from there. I read alot.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:33 AM

I used to go to the library alot. I don't read as much since I have the computer now. Sometimes I will buy a book from a favorite author if I come across one.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:49 AM

I read a book per week. Most of the time I buy my books at half.com - used/like new.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:10 AM

I've been buying my books used as well, $2 a book from used book stores.

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:14 AM

Since I have less time than hitherto to read books, I tend to focus my reading and buy the books at several of the good bookstores a metropolitan area affords.
And, with all the great books available on-line and at no cost at IPL, Perseus, and Project Gutenberg that I still should read, I spend more and more time reading material I have downloaded.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

Actually I go to the city Library every Tuesday night. i dont have a library card b/c my License says I live in another county. Besides I go just to talk to my sister (thats the only night she works) and check up on any new Linux Books then the g/f will borrow them.She currently has the Fedora Core 6 Bible out.

Posted Image

#10 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:46 PM

I love libraries! In fact, every two weeks we visit our local one and fill a huge shopping bag with assorted books and I read one on an average of every two nights. Like mycomputer a lot - but for for me there is nothing as great as the feel of a page in my hands and the magic that can be hidden between the two covers.

Good thing libraries and all their books are free or I'd be bankrupt in no time if I had to buy them - eep! :thumbsup:
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#11 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:20 AM

not been to a libary in years tend to buy books instead .
:flowers:

Yea, I do that too. Or at latest, I have started to borrow books of me mom. She s got a room full of books :trumpet: . I d need two lifes to get through all of em :inlove:

I read a book per week. Most of the time I buy my books at half.com - used/like new.

One book per week? Gee. My last book took me 9 months (tho admitting to mostly reading only on weekends).

Since I have less time than hitherto to read books, I tend to focus my reading and buy the books at several of the good bookstores a metropolitan area affords.
And, with all the great books available on-line and at no cost at IPL, Perseus, and Project Gutenberg that I still should read, I spend more and more time reading material I have downloaded.
Regards,
John

Mhhm, I have tried that. I cannot do so really. Gives me headaches. Plus I like having "something in my hands" when reading novels /literature.

I commute to work by city train (kinda but subway, but actually on ground, not under - thinking about it, our subway doesnt even go "underground" 70% of its tracks) and need about 20 minutes. I use that time to read the weekly journal "der spiegel." I sometimes need a fortnite to finish it, but thats oke. I find myself spending about 12 hrs a day in front of a pc due to work and this website :cool: , so there is not much time left. Plus I am tired at nites so dont read much. I find it a pity, as I used to read loads of books when I was younger :thumbsup:

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:20 AM

When I was communing on the El, I had around 30-minutes (unless there were delays, then much much longer) to read. Generally I had a copy of the NewYorker in my briefcase, or a Penguin in my pocket.
Reading on the computer is not to everyone's taste, but one can download the file and then either change the font or print it and put it in a binder. Some formatting will give you a spacious blank area on one side of the page or the other that you can fill with notes.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users