Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would You Be Outraged Or?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:33 AM

[b] " MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (AP) - Staff members of an elementary school staged a fictitious gun attack on students during a class trip, telling them it was not a drill as the children cried and hid under tables.

The mock attack Thursday night was intended as a learning experience and lasted five minutes during the weeklong trip to a state park, said Scales Elementary School Assistant Principal Don Bartch, who led the trip.

"We got together and discussed what we would have done in a real situation," he said.

But parents of the sixth-grade students were outraged.

"The children were in that room in the dark, begging for their lives, because they thought there was someone with a gun after them," said Brandy Cole, whose son went on the trip.

Some parents said they were upset by the staff's poor judgment in light of the April 16 shootings at Virginia Tech that left 33 students and professors dead, including the gunman. During the last night of the trip, staff members convinced the 69 students that there was a gunman on the loose. They were told to lie on the floor or hide underneath tables and stay quiet. A teacher, disguised in a hooded sweat shirt, even pulled on locked door.

After the lights went out, about 20 kids started to cry, 11-year-old Shay Naylor said.

"I was like, 'Oh My God,' " she said. "At first I thought I was going to die. We flipped out."

Principal Catherine Stephens declined to say whether the staff members involved would face disciplinary action, but said the situation "involved poor judgment."[b] (Unquote)

Source: http://www.mytelus.com/ncp_news/article.en...ticleID=2662226

- - - - - - - -

Really curious as to what others think of this.

For myself, I would be absolutely livid if this was sone to my elementary school child - geesh!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:58 PM

Speaking form my perspective this is just outrageous. I can see what they wanted to do but there are a few things wrong with what they did. They attempted to do a drill. what they messed up on.

1. Obviously not holding any drills to prepare people before
2. Saying that it was not a drill
3. having someone dress up like a would be gunman

We just recently had a threat at our school that there would a school shooting, the student had several fire arms, and a note on the would be attack. My feeling is there is no screwing around on theese issues. We should be prepared yes, thats why we have lock-down drills where all classrooms are locked and windows blinded, and we have a principal go around and check random doors and windows. The thing is we have been told what to do, where to go, where not to go, from what I read above it looks like the staff wanted to prepare the children but went about it the wrong way.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:07 PM

That was very poor judgement on the school's part. All drills should be reviewed by administrators before any actions are taken. Scaring children accomplishes nothing. IF (??) they were going to do something like this, they should have went over the drill with the students first, ran the drill explaining what was happening, ended the drill, reviewed what happened, and then run the drill again without guidance. After everything was over, talk about what happened.

I question the need for this type of drill for those children.

About the school staff...
The Assistant Principal should be fired.
The Principal should be heavily disciplined.
Any staff involved would be sat down and explained why this was the perfect example of what not to do.

Edited by rigel, 14 May 2007 - 08:17 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:38 AM

Yes, I agree. Whatever were they thinking?!!!

I think it was about 3 days after the shooting happened that a teacher of elementary children in our area decided to have a 'mock killing/copy of the shooting" during her drama class. Most parents were furious but nope, she wasn't fired.

While I could be wrong about this, suspect if the other teachers in each school could have a confidental vote, the silly twits that come up with this stuff would be terminated.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:46 AM

Oh so over the years all the shootings they couldnt learn from them?
This is sad...

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:56 AM

I also find this Outrageous.These so called Teachers are truely sick people.They must have a Narcissistic streak in them to want to see Children suffer.The teachers would know it would scare them nearly to death. I'm sure that some of these Children will have Nightmares for a long time to come.That none of these Children will ever forget this,and I wouldn't mind betting some may even need Psycho help.These Teachers shouldn't be allowed to teach again.It would serve no real purpose putting these Children through this experience.Tell the Children what they think is the correct procudure would be in a given situation,but to pretend it's real is utter stupidity.IMHO.

Thanks MaraM for bringing this to our attention.

#7 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:21 PM

I also find this Outrageous.These so called Teachers are truely sick people.They must have a Narcissistic streak in them to want to see Children suffer.The teachers would know it would scare them nearly to death. I'm sure that some of these Children will have Nightmares for a long time to come.That none of these Children will ever forget this,and I wouldn't mind betting some may even need Psycho help.These Teachers shouldn't be allowed to teach again.It would serve no real purpose putting these Children through this experience.Tell the Children what they think is the correct procudure would be in a given situation,but to pretend it's real is utter stupidity.IMHO.

Thanks MaraM for bringing this to our attention.

I agree DSTM, this is showing that there is a particular fascination with death and fear with regard to the teachers or authority figures involved.

Kids at that age I don't believe have the same capability to cope with this type of situation as kids in college.

Do they ever sound the alarm in the school and have teachers run around and say..."AHHH, there's a tornado heading straight for the building." then watch the kids panic....no....they have drills to instill in the children the best way to handle the situation SHOULD IT arise.

By the way...someone had to approve this action. Wonder who.

#8 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:59 PM

I would like to see the parents stage a 'drill' on Parent-Teacher Night! :thumbsup:

I wonder how those teachers would react when they are told that their lives are in danger and that it is 'for real'.

Whomever approved this and took part in this are despicable! I agree with training the students, but there are ways to inject realism without going that far. I mean how many of us truly conceptualized death at that age? What possible benefit could those actions have had, aside from making the operators feel big and important?

I will tell you this, they are all fortunate that times have changed. This crap is just the sort of thing for which my father would have made a special visit to the school to whoop some @$$! And he would not have been the only one. That's what these folks need, some fear themselves, fear and respect for those signing their checks, the taxpayers.

At some point we have to stop empowering those who wish us harm, don't we? The terrorists, the school shooters, the hostage takers, the suicide bombers. Preparation is one thing, but putting children through these ordeals that serve no purpose; well, now I want to kick some @$$!

Edited by blueandgold04, 15 May 2007 - 12:59 PM.

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#9 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:17 PM

the whole idea of setting up a mock gun attack regardless of the virginia tech tragedy is ridiculous and if i
was the parent of any of those children i would be calling for resignations or dismisal of all staff involved.

on another note this caught my attention from the first post

11-year-old Shay Naylor said.

"I was like, 'Oh My God,' " she said. "At first I thought I was going to die. We flipped out

do children of 11 actually talk like that now :thumbsup:

Edited by mz30, 15 May 2007 - 02:18 PM.

god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

Would You Be Outraged Or?

Outraged. And this is not the first instance of a mock attack on a school.

But in this case, the kids were told it was real. :thumbsup: :flowers:
Posted Image

#11 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:34 PM

Have been trying to imagine what it must be like for the children - and their parents now.

If it had been a day care provider that did something this cruel and utterly stupid to innocent children, I'm sure they would been fired in a heart beat! Yet it seem there will be no repercussions to the teachers responsible for this. I'd be ever so hesitant to continue entrusting my child with a teacher that has such poor judgement and it must be ever so frustrating for so many of the parents involved.

#12 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:49 AM

Unbelievable.i am amazed every day at how stupid some people are.!

You just couldn't make it up! :thumbsup:

#13 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:01 PM

I agree with the school. The best way to teach a lesson is to recreate the scenerio. With their mock school shooting situation, they could gauge the reactions of the students. Telling someone what they should do in a school shooting is fine and dandy, but people won't really know what they would do unless they actually experience it themselves and believe it to be real until it is over. If I was a parent of one of those kids, I would be commending the school, honestly. Parents are whining because it scared their children, it would have been a lot scarier if it had been for real, but now those kids can be told what to do should that situation ever happen again. People need to quit being so sensitive. A valuable lesson was taught; they got to experience what it would be like first-hand and now will hopefully be more prepared if that ever happens again.

Hmm, seems like I'm the only person who approves of the school's action. Let the flaming begin...

Edited by solaris32, 21 May 2007 - 03:07 PM.

When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#14 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

Hi 'solaris32' I just hope you are not a School Teacher. Seriously,you would put your child through Trauma just in case.
I have a feeling you are bored, and only posted for the reaction, from other Members.

#15 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:58 PM

Hi 'solaris32' I just hope you are not a School Teacher. Seriously,you would put your child through Trauma just in case.
I have a feeling you are bored, and only posted for the reaction, from other Members.

Actually no. That's how I truly feel. It wasn't until after I posted my opinion that I read everyone else's and saw I was the only one supporting the school. I applaud the school for using such a straight-forward and brutal tactic at teaching a lesson. I think it would be cool if my college did something like that. It would be interesting to see what I and other people would do. And again, it would help us to get to know ourselves better if we actually experience something like that first-hand. Such experiences cannot be taught on paper or with words, and that's why I agree with the school's shooting drill.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users