Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lying File Size

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 10bob13

10bob13

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:03 AM

Hey, everyone. I'm so glad there are sites like this. You have no idea how much folks like me appreciate the time folks like you take to to do this.

I'm part of another site's forum for my truck and the volume of information there has been invaluable.

Computers, trucks, human services, support groups ... this is the stuff that makes the internet amazing.

But to task ... just got a message from my computer that I have 177MG remaining on my hard drive. Hard Drive is 30GB, HP Pavillion a705W. I do routine maintenance, anti-virus active and automatic update (Avast). Firewalls and all that.

I know I don't have 29GB on my hard drive. Went looking and found C:/my computer/dovuments and settings/all users

All Users, when I roll over for properties, announces 19.3GB in size 2/3 of my hard drive. Open All Users and the total of files is 846.1KB.

What in the world is invisible and hogging 19GB of my hard drive?

I've done a lot of web searches, probably inefficiently, and don't have a clue.

Much appreciate any help.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:13 AM

Part of your hard drive is used by the recovery partition, (D, HP_Recovery) > I refer you here, for some steps to clean up the computer:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:33 AM

Hi 10bob13

If you go to START>>MY COMPUTER>>Right click on your C:Drive and select PROPERTIES, you will get a graph showing your used and free space.

A nifty little tool to use is Sequoia View Posted Image
. Select your C:Drive and you can see exactly what is going on and where everything is located.

Good luck.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:39 AM

I second what explained by them above me. You can also try chkdsk /f method to fix your partition if the file disk size displayed in wrong size. Also, there is a possibility for your other partition to still be in RAW file that is not yet partitioned under any type of system file (FAT32 or NTFS). It that is the case, boot with an XP cd and locate the partition and just do a quick format and F3 to quit setup. Hope that gives some alternative idea to your solution. :thumbsup:

Edited by syunichi, 14 May 2007 - 07:40 AM.

Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:44 PM

But to task ... just got a message from my computer that I have 177MG remaining on my hard drive. Hard Drive is 30GB, HP Pavillion a705W. I do routine maintenance, anti-virus active and automatic update (Avast). Firewalls and all that.

A thirty gig drive will format to about 29 gig - 6 gig plus or minus for the recovery partition = 22/23 gig .

run cleanup, you can download the file from here: http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/ or download and use ccleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/ just be careful, as all the latest versions try to install the google toolbar.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 10bob13

10bob13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:45 PM

Hey, thanks to all the replies. I found the problem and while none of the suggestions were the problem, checking them out and the trip they took me on let to the solution.

I found a hidden file under C:/my computer/documents and settings/all users named "log" and it was full of 19.7 GB of errors. Deleted those and the problem went away. Ran machine through the hoops and can't find a glitch to date. Don't have a reason to "restore" yet.

Thought I would share in case another mere mortal stumbles across a sudden loss of hard drive space.

Thanks a million guys.

Bob

Edited by 10bob13, 14 May 2007 - 10:45 PM.

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:05 AM

Thanks for the info. Had a quick check through my machine and could find nothing like that, so don't know where your's came from. Handy to know about tho'.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users