Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected By Autorun.vbs Virus! Need Help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 vasili

vasili

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:11 PM

My laptop has been infected by the autorun.vbs virus

I can't open my C:/ and also D:/

Everytime i tried it said cannot find autorun.vbs

The words on "Open" and "Explore" when i right-click on my C:/ and D:/ became un-readable words

Please i really need help here because my AVAST antivirus cant remove it.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:07 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer vasili,

Sounds like you may be infected with a Trojan.
Please read and follow the instructions in this topic; Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log .
When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, Not Here.

After posting a log you should not make any changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, delete files, edit the registry, etc.) unless advised by a HJT Team member.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:31 AM

As first resort you might want to try Flash_Disinfector.exe. If you do that please connect disconnect from the internet and put any Flashdrives you have in the computer

#4 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:25 AM

Hmm..sounds familiar. Try this method...

Under tools>folder options>view> show hidden file and folders (uncheck this box) hide extension known files (uncheck this one too) hide protected system operating files (uncheck this too)

go to my computer,right click on C:/ or D:/ and use EXPLORE rather than OPEN. Find some file named "autorun.inf" and "msvcr71.dll". Delete it and complete doing it with all partitions that is D: and C:.

Double clicking the the partition as it was will result in triggering wscript.exe and the autorun.vbs file.

Reboot when autorun.inf is deleted. Hope this works for you. :thumbsup:

Edited by syunichi, 14 May 2007 - 07:27 AM.

Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#5 vasili

vasili
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:31 AM

Hi syunichi

The word 'EXPLORE' when i right-click on both C:/ and D:/ is un-readable.

If i delete those files which you told me, would it affects my system? will it crashed?

Am I taking a risk here?

#6 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:35 AM

Simplest would be to run the tool I proposed since it will do that automaticly.
Vasili to be absolutely sure we have the right infection please locate a file called ravmon.exe which is the source of the infection. There also will be an entry in the registry which will be removed by the tool I proposed.

#7 vasili

vasili
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:13 AM

Fozzie

I'm sorry if i don't understand you.

Why do I need to plug in any flash drive?

It affects my hard drive C:/ and D:/

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:14 AM

As first resort you might want to try Flash_Disinfector.exe. If you do that please connect disconnect from the internet and put any Flashdrives you have in the computer

I believe Fozzie meant to plug in any Flash Drives that you have used with this computer.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#9 vasili

vasili
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:29 AM

To Tmack

Oh ya, my thumb-drive has been infected as well.

But how am I to remove the virus which has infected my hard-drive?

#10 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:54 AM

Since you have posted a HIJackThis log this topic should be closed.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:59 AM

vasili's log is posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/92358/infected-with-autorunvbs-virus/

After posting a log you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc.) unless advised by a HJT Team member. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 vasili

vasili
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:31 PM

To Fozzie

Sorry for misunderstanding you.

I followed your advice and use the FLASH DISINFECTOR

The virus was removed.

Thanks alot! Really appreciated your advice and help :thumbsup:

#13 iGy

iGy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:59 AM

Thanks to this post and particulary to fozzie, I was able to help a friend who has the same problem. Big thanks. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:13 AM

Flash drive infections usually involve malware that loads an autorun.inf file into the root folder of all drives (internal, external, removable). When the removable media is inserted, autorun looks for autorun.inf and automatically executes a malicious autorun.bat file which calls wscript.exe to run autorun.vbs on your computer. When a flash drive becomes infected, the Trojan will infect a system when the removable media is inserted if autorun has not been disabled.

"Autorun" is the feature built into Windows that automatically runs a program specified by an "autorun.inf" file whenever a CD-ROM, DVD or USB drive is plugged into a Windows-based computer. Autorun is intended as a convenience to automatically start an installer when removable media is inserted into the computer.

Keeping Autorun enabled on USB and other removable drives has become a significant security risk due to the increasing number of malware variants that can infect them and transfer the infection to your computer. Read Danger USB! Worm targets removable memory sticks.

I recommend disabling the Autorun feature on USB drives as a method of prevention.

The easiest way to disable Autorun on a specific drive is to download and use Tweak UI PowerToy.
  • After installation, launch Tweak UI, double-click on My Computer in the tree menu on the left, then click on AutoPlay > Drives. This will allow you to change the system settings for AutoPlay/autorun.
  • Uncheck the drives you want to disable AutoPlay on and click on Apply.
  • Next, click on the Types in the left tree. This allows you to control whether Autoplay is enabled for CD and DVD drives and removable drives. You may need to restart Tweak UI if it closes after step 2.
  • Uncheck the box to disable Autoplay for a particular type of drive.
  • Click Apply.
See "Disable Autorun/AutoPlay" for instructions with screenshots.
When Autorun is disabled, double-clicking a drive which has autorun.inf in its root directory may still activate Autorun so be careful.

Always scan USB Flash Drives after they have been used in other computer systems, even your own. An easy way to do this is to download "ClamWin Portable", install it on your USB Flash Drive, update its definition files and perform a scan.

Another prevention measure you can use is to download Symantec's NoScript utility. Scroll down to the section "How to disable (or re-enable) the Windows Scripting Host" to find the link and follow the instructions. Noscript will disable the Windows Scripting Host and prevent VBScripts from running on your machine until you run the utility again.

Since the original OP posted a hijackthis log, I am closing this thread which we normally do when this is done to avoid confusing but was over looked at that time. If you have any questions start a new thread or send me a PM.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users