Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Plextor Dvd Burner + Nero 7 + Windows Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HWF

HWF

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

Hi -

Recently I had gotten yet another virus on my computer that wiped out my Windows XP Home Edition operating system. I couldn't find a copy of the Windows XP Home Edition, but had the Windows XP Professional Edition and I loaded this onto my computer in addition to all the other programs that I had to put back on my computer. One of those programs was Nero 7. But when I reloaded the Nero 7 and went to burn a DVD video, my DVD burner would not recognize the DVD+ R disc that I was using (it kept on asking me to put in a blank DVD, but even when I kept changing to another blank DVD disc, it still said the same thing). Then I tried to burn a CD and the same thing happened - Nero kept on asking me to put in a blank CD. So basically, the program does not recognize that there is a blank DVD or CD in the burner. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I've never seen this problem before the wipe-out.

I have a Plextor PX- 740 UF external DVD+/-RW drive - when I looked online, their website says that I do not need to install any software for this hardware - it's connected to my computer with a power supply and USB port. I've updated with all the current firmware for this DVD drive. I've even downgraded to Nero 6.6, but the same problem occurs. The DVD burner will not burn anything.

I'll be truly grateful for any help and advice! I'm a newbie with computers and programming, etc. so I'd really really appreciate any step by step instructions.

Thank you so much in advance for anyone who can help me! :flowers: :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:17 AM

Is windows Pro up to date.. I use Nero 6.6 with an internal liteon and no problems
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 HWF

HWF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:08 PM

Hi - I have the SP2 pack & just went on Windows website and have installed updates. Should be up to date now. But Nero 7 Ultra Edition will still not burn CD's or DVD's? HELP!!

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:23 PM

Have you tried reinstalling nero, and have you tried any other burning software to make sure its not a drive issue.. There are free ones listed in our software list http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html under Cd / DVD. Or you can drag and drop in windows
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 HWF

HWF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:59 PM

Hi - I just found out from the Plextor customer service that my issue is not my hardware, but instead it's that I have a software issue on my computer. I would like to reboot/reset my Compaq Presario S4100NX to it's original form - it was pre-loaded with all software, purchased from Circuit City. When I called Compaq's customer service, the rep told me that all my pre-loaded software is on my hard drive and I just had to go through a series of easy commands to "reset/reboot" it, but he would not tell me how to do this without a hefty charge since my computer is pretty old and the warranty is long expired.

Do you know how I can "reset/reboot" my computer to how I had bought it originally? I don't care that my programs/files will be wiped out since I have a back-up of everything.

Thanks so much for your help!!!

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:43 PM

You should be able to reboot with F8 and go into the recovery mode.. (I may be wrong) You don't have your recovery cd?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:08 AM

With some HP's and Compaq's you'll press F11 while booting to access the recovery function. You may also be able to access it in the All Programs menu if you can get into Windows.

There'll be instructions in the owner's manual on how to do this also - if you don't have it here's a link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualC...mp;lang=en&

The procedure is on page 6-5 and 6-6 of the manual.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 HWF

HWF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:48 PM

Thanks everyone for all your help! I just ordered the recovery CD's from HP. When they arrive I should be able to reset my computer back to its original form.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users