Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking And Printers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chapin33

chapin33

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:27 PM

New to networking so excuse the question..but..

I have one desktop with two printers on it. I just added 1 laptop and established wireless network so the desktop and laptop have internet connections but laptop does not have printers attached.

How do I establish printer rights to lap top?

Do I add the printer software and drivers to lap top and also attach the printers to the router? Please advise and thanks in advance for help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:45 AM

Hi chapin, if you have installed the printers on the main pc they will need to be shared right click. Then on the laptop go to control panel add a printer and choose network printer( make sure the printer is turned on. Have a look at the link for further details
http://www.ntu.edu.sg/CITS/Getting+Help/Ge...rk+Printers.htm
MCP
MSDST

#3 chapin33

chapin33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:17 AM

So I don't have to add the drivers and the software to the lap top? Or better yet, I do not need to connect the printers cables to the router?

Please advise and thanks for the assistance.

#4 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:04 PM

No you don't need to connect the printer to the router or install the drivers on the laptop but you do need to make sure that the PC attached to the printer is turned on if you want to print to that printer otherwise the sharing won't work.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#5 chapin33

chapin33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:36 PM

well I must be doing something wrong because I still can not connect. can some one continue to assist me?

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:19 AM

On the laptop did you go add a printer (network Printer) then you have to saerch for it by name (the name of the printer) on the main PC.
MCP
MSDST

#7 chapin33

chapin33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:52 AM

Problem solved!!!! Thanks so much for all of the assistance listed in this thread. It is greatly appreciated and it is really nice to know that when problems arise, users like me can come here and get the assistance we need. Thanks A LOT!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users