Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tyan S2915 Power On, Nothing On The Screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 saddy38

saddy38

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:08 PM

the problem we're having:
when the power supply turned on, we can see all the fans are turned on, but nothing shows on the screen
graphics card and monitor are separately tested on different machine, and theyre fine

and here's the breakdown of what happened:

the motherboard requires 24+8+4 pins PSU
the PSU that we had earlier only have 24(that made up from 20+4)pins +8 pins
so when all put together, with only 24(20+4)+8 cable plugged in,
the screen says something about check cable.

then we saw that our PSU doesnt have 24+8+4 pins cable, so one of us just take the 4 pins from the (20+4)pins and put it on the 4 pin on the motherboard
so it was 20+8+4 pins were connected to the motherboard

something smells burn, so we turned it off immediately
the smell came from the power button
and after testing it with other machine, the power button was fine

so we got a different PSU, with the correct 24+8+4 pins
we got replacement for the same motherboard as well

when the power supply turned on, we can see all the fans are turned on, but nothing shows on the screen

graphics card and monitor are separately tested on a different machine, and they're fine
so we were wondering if the processors or memory are dead because of what happen earlier

so was it possible put in the wrong wire from the PSU to the motherboard burns the processor or the memory?

or is it possible its something else?

----------------------------------------------------
these are the specific hardwares:

Tyan Thunder n6650W (S2915)
http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=163

2 AMD Opteron 2218 Santa Rosa 2.6GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket F Dual Core Processor
http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/opteron/de...n=OSA2218GAA6CQ

Ram:
Kingston 4GB 667MHz DDR2 ECC Reg with Parity CL5 DIMM (Kit of 2) Dual Rank x4, KVR667D2D4P5K2/4G
http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR667D2D4P5K2_4G.pdf

Graphics Card:NVidia Quadro FX 5600

SILVERSTONE ST75F ATX12V / EPS12V 750W Power Supply
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/st75f/st75f_spec.html

----------------------------------------------------

I called tech support at kingston, and after looking at the specification of the motherboard, they say that it seems that the motherboard requires 2 sticks of ram for each CPU, otherwise it will not run
I only have 2 sticks of ram, and so far I've moved them around on different slots, and nothing shows up on the screen
I also tried with just 1 CPU
so I wonder if I just need 2 more sticks for the second CPU? since these memory needs to be installed in pairs? or was what happened earlier burns the CPU?

but way in the beginning when the (20+4)+8 was connected, at least something shows on the screen says check cable
now theres nothing shown on the screen
just all the fans turned on when the power is on

I tried to contact TYAN but hasnt got response yet

thanks for reading this far
I really appreciate it
and please let me know if you have any suggestion

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:47 PM

I would suspect the motherboard first off - because of the issues with the 4 pin connector and the burning smell (the electricity had to get to the switch from somewhere - and it may have fried another part or two on it's way).

I'd also trust the Kingston folks on the mobo - your mobo manual indicates that you've gotta populate DIMMs 2 and 3 on both CPU's in order for it to work.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:27 PM

Will the mother board even give post beeps? If not thats where I would start. Smoke in a computer as you have discovered is REALLY bad :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 saddy38

saddy38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:46 PM

we got new of the same mobo, and same problem still persist

and the thing about the mobo is, i cant find any speaker on it
so theres no beeps at all

and the manual didnt say anything about where connecting a speaker

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:35 PM

I scanned through the manual and didn't find a speaker connection either. It may come through the audio port but how with out the drivers loaded I have no Idea :thumbsup: . but on page 63 there is a list of phoenix bios post beep codes.. so the board generates them. anyway to test the processors?. Does the power supply turn on with the new motherboard.

Chad Mockensturm 

#6 saddy38

saddy38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:53 PM

nope, I have no other way to test the processor unfortunately

yeah it did have beeps list, but how it beeps is a mystery since there's no speaker

yes the new power supply turns on with the new motherboard, all the fans are turned on, graphics card fan are also turned on
but nothing on the screen

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:56 PM

Have you inserted the correct amount of memory. As stated by Kingston and the owners manual table on page 27 with dual processors installed you need to populate dimm slots 2 and 3 for processor 1, and 2 and 3 for processor 2

Edited by Sneakycyber, 14 May 2007 - 04:03 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#8 saddy38

saddy38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:09 AM

not yet, cos i got to buy 2 more sticks