Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Cpu's ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wildvan

wildvan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:55 AM

Please no one laugh, I have a "DELL" 8400, not really wanting to buy a new machine at this time..
I was looking into going to a dual core processor. I have a pentium 3.2 in it right now, it has a OU7077 motherboard.
Machine is running fairly well, but would a dual core help the system, and can one even be installed into this dell machine?
I currently also run 3 meg of ram and a invidia 6800 vidio card, this machine is used for gaming primarily..
If anyone thinks a dual core would actually help, please advise and to which one..
Thanks for any help and suggestions--Ya Ya, I know, build a new computer.... :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:21 PM

What is your system number. (the number on the back. White sticker) or look up your spec sheet on Dell.com and post the system information. We will then know exactly what is in the computer and what your upgrade options are.

Edit: 3 Meg of ram?? you mean 3 gig I hope

Edited by Sneakycyber, 13 May 2007 - 01:21 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 wildvan

wildvan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:43 PM

Yup, did mean gig, I installed additional 2 gig approx 6 months ago, Little tag reads 41GQV71-
Thanks again for any help

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:58 PM

OK you have 3 gigs of ram and a 3.2 ghz processor and an Nvidia 6800 video card.. What exactly is the problem. Getting pwned in game or what? :thumbsup: Your system should be fine for any game out there. If you are trying to run 2 instances of the game IE running a bot yes a dual core cpu can help. asside from multi tasking you wont see much of a difference in computer performance.. If your computer is running slow in general read this article http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Edit: added smiley

Edited by Sneakycyber, 13 May 2007 - 04:58 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 wildvan

wildvan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the info, you answered the question that was asked, in your opion, no big gains would be accomplished by any upgrades. Cool, and yes, I do get owned at times, reflexs are getting slower as I get older, Damn wish i was 21 again..LOL

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:22 PM

I have had the same problem :huh: .. Check out the latest in gaming keyboards from Logitech they have programmable macro keys that help with complicated moves :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users