Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Help Connect Computer Need Help...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mischievous

mischievous

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:27 AM

My cousin has connected his Grandaughter's computer to another via ethernet cable. He had to buy a NIC card and also cable, was told once the connection was made everything would be ok but alas......nothing is ever so simple :thumbsup:

He say's there is a strong signal strength but no ip address. I will go over to their house on Tuesday and see if I can help and was wondering if though I am on my own wireless network on my laptop here at home, is there a way that I can use my laptop to connect to my cousins router so that I could be online to speak with you guys and get some advice. I've tried to get into the chat room but I'm having problems and only getting some smileys and an away message.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:54 AM

I'm confuse down here. Using cable should not be should be showing any signal strength.

Whatever it is, is your cousin grandmother able to use the internet through cable previously? Care to elaborate more of it?

If your cousin router has enabled wireless, assigned ip using DHCP and your computer also enabled obtaining IP automically. There should be not much of a problem to connect to your cousin router to use internet.

#3 mischievous

mischievous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:24 PM

I'm confuse down here. Using cable should not be should be showing any signal strength.

Whatever it is, is your cousin grandmother able to use the internet through cable previously? Care to elaborate more of it?

If your cousin router has enabled wireless, assigned ip using DHCP and your computer also enabled obtaining IP automically. There should be not much of a problem to connect to your cousin router to use internet.

Hi, I'll try to explain a little better. My cousin has 2 desktop computers, one is connected and running with ethernet cable into the router, he bought an network adapter and was trying to run the other pc wireless. I did manage to connect and downloaded an anti-virus program and yahoo messenger but the signal was weak and we kept getting cut off, so today he bought a nic card and a crossover cable, and want's both pc's to be sharing internet connection that way instead of wireless.

I live a little distance from them so what I'm meaning about my own laptop is this....I connect wirelessly to my modem/router which is connected to my desktop pc with ethernet, I then set the router to be wireless so I could use my laptop by clicking on my named network, but if I go over to my cousins house I know my network wont show up there due to the distance, but hope his grandaughters will and was hoping I could connect to that, but will that mess up my own configuration when I come home again?

Hope this is a little clearer (probably not....I'm useless at explaining....wish I could get into the bleeping computer chat room, did before and can't understand why it ain't working now...sob sob. Anyway, any advice would be very, very welcome and thank you for your reply

#4 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:03 PM

Sure you are explaining very well. Don't worry about it.

More or less I understand the situation.

For wireless signal is show weak meaning that there's quite a number of object blocking the signal. For a normal household router, the maximum number of walls that it will pass through is roughly 3. Of course, it also depends what type of materials etc.

I suggest you to place the router at the center part of the house so that every room can get the signal pretty well.

Using the same method as the previous desktop were connected to the router using Ethernet cable. The other desktop should not have any problem with it.

Regarding your laptop, you should not face any problem after you get connected to your cousin router when you get back home. Just a note, if your cousin home wireless connection has password protected. You need to have the password in order to get connected, else you will not be able to use your cousin internet.

Hope this helps and clear your doubt. :thumbsup:

#5 mischievous

mischievous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:42 AM

[quote name='Nikas' date='May 14 2007, 05:03 AM' post='520694']
Sure you are explaining very well. Don't worry about it.

Using the same method as the previous desktop were connected to the router using Ethernet cable. The other desktop should not have any problem with it.

Hi again :thumbsup: I am glad to hear I will be able to use my laptop. Now concerning your above comment, I got the impression that my cousin has joined 1 computer to another using the crossover cable, he didn't say anything about any cable going into the router from 2nd computer....I am sure that when I set up my desktop, I had one cable going into the router from computer and the other from the router into my phone filter thing. so if he has only one cable, should it run from his second comp to his first comp which is already set up, or, from the second comp to the router?I believe he has run it from one computer to the other.

I will know more tomorrow when I get there. I was wondering if maybe it would be just a matter of making first comp the host and second one the client to allow for sharing...well I'm hoping it's something as simple as that, and all will be well...I wish :flowers:

#6 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:33 AM

I am sure that when I set up my desktop, I had one cable going into the router from computer and the other from the router into my phone filter thing. so if he has only one cable, should it run from his second comp to his first comp which is already set up, or, from the second comp to the router?I believe he has run it from one computer to the other.

Basically, your cousin should not able to use cable to connect from the second computer to the first computer.
If your first computer is connected to the router using cable.

Normally, one desktop will only have one LAN port for you to plug in your Ethernet cable from your PC to router. So the second computer should not be able to use another Ethernet cable to plug from the PC to the first computer.

Let's say a router have 4 LAN port at the back. All computer that are using Ethernet cable to connect to the internet should have their cable connected to the back of the router and no where else.

I was wondering if maybe it would be just a matter of making first comp the host and second one the client to allow for sharing...well I'm hoping it's something as simple as that, and all will be well...I wish

Don't worry about that. I have mention this above.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck! :thumbsup:

#7 mischievous

mischievous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:37 PM

I am sure that when I set up my desktop, I had one cable going into the router from computer and the other from the router into my phone filter thing. so if he has only one cable, should it run from his second comp to his first comp which is already set up, or, from the second comp to the router?I believe he has run it from one computer to the other.

Basically, your cousin should not able to use cable to connect from the second computer to the first computer.
If your first computer is connected to the router using cable.

Normally, one desktop will only have one LAN port for you to plug in your Ethernet cable from your PC to router. So the second computer should not be able to use another Ethernet cable to plug from the PC to the first computer.

Let's say a router have 4 LAN port at the back. All computer that are using Ethernet cable to connect to the internet should have their cable connected to the back of the router and no where else.

I was wondering if maybe it would be just a matter of making first comp the host and second one the client to allow for sharing...well I'm hoping it's something as simple as that, and all will be well...I wish

Don't worry about that. I have mention this above.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Hi Nikas, well here is my update. As you said second comp was not plugged into first comp but still I couldn't make head nor tail of the way the system was meant to work.

Firstly the internet connection from first computer is CABLE (cable plugs into back of NTL box with ethernet cable running also from that box into first comp.....then they have another kind of router thing for wireless, now my cousin ran the new wire from second comp into back of the wireless router box and I'm thinking that in some way, the cable box which is important shoud also have some connectionn to either the cable box or the computer but there is not an extra socket available on it and even when we took out cable from first comp and replaced with second comp it still wouldn't connect so I just had to give up I'm afraid. Also I couldn't get my laptop to go on the internet there either so couldn't come online for help.

I think maybe they will have to get a Tech guy in and maybe set up from the beginning and get it sorted once and for all as their Grandaughter want's a Laptop and I said she will most probable want that wireless. so there we have it....no further forward, but thanks again for trying to help

Cheers :flowers:

#8 mischievous

mischievous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:48 PM

[quote name='Nikas' date='May 14 2007, 01:33 PM' post='520867']
[quote]
I

PS...this is what is a problem I think, you mention above the 4 LAN port's when at the back of the ntl box they have there is only room for the one connection, so we tried taking the first comp cable out and replace with new cable for second comp...but still it didn't work.....

#9 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:31 AM

After some researching, I came to know that NTL Box is actually providing TV and BroadBand service. Correct me if I'm wrong.

NTL Box acts as a modem itself too? May I also have the router brand?

PS...this is what is a problem I think, you mention above the 4 LAN port's when at the back of the ntl box they have there is only room for the one connection, so we tried taking the first comp cable out and replace with new cable for second comp...but still it didn't work.....

It's not at the back of the NTL box. It's at the back of the router.

If you don't mind, give this setup a try.

NTL Box cable to router. Router should have 4 LAN port behind.

So Comp 1 and Comp 2 plug Ethernet cable to router LAN port.

Edited by Nikas, 16 May 2007 - 12:58 AM.

#10 mischievous

mischievous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:14 AM

After some researching, I came to know that NTL Box is actually providing TV and BroadBand service. Correct me if I'm wrong.

NTL Box acts as a modem itself too? May I also have the router brand?

It's not at the back of the NTL box. It's at the back of the router.

If you don't mind, give this setup a try.

NTL Box cable to router. Router should have 4 LAN port behind.

So Comp 1 and Comp 2 plug Ethernet cable to router LAN port.

Hello again Nikas, I thought and thought all last night what can be wrong with my cousins set up and feel he is getting so fed up with the whole computer stuff and he really want's to get it sorted out for his Granddaughter so I have copied your reply and will send it to his grandaughter in a email and maybe this will be the solution because I know that the cable from the ntl was plugged into the ntl box and not to the router, so maybe this is what you think should be the correct positions....

NTL cable plugged into Belkan Router
Ethernet Cable from first Comp into Router
Ethernet Cable from second Comp into Router

The only problem I forsee here is if my memory serves me correctly, the plug on the NTL cable may not fit into the router as it is more like the plug at the end of a TV or Vidio cable. I will let you know in a few days how it works out, so for now, Thank You very, very much for all your advice.

:thumbsup:

#11 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 05:14 AM

NTL cable plugged into Belkan Router
Ethernet Cable from first Comp into Router
Ethernet Cable from second Comp into Router

Yes, this is the correct one. I'll put a more detailed explanation later on and a source for you to check out more.

I'm in a rush. =)

#12 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:37 AM

Well, Is the NTL cable connected from the wall socket to the NTL box?

My guess is that if the above is true, then the NTL box should also have one Ethernet port which enables you to connect the NTL box to the router.

Am I correct with my guess?

Thus, NTL cable will only be fit into NTL box. Not to the router.

I found one place which looks a little same as yours, you may want to see how the person reply and maybe you can get some clue out of it.

Source

Edited by Nikas, 16 May 2007 - 08:39 AM.

#13 mischievous

mischievous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

Well, Is the NTL cable connected from the wall socket to the NTL box?

My guess is that if the above is true, then the NTL box should also have one Ethernet port which enables you to connect the NTL box to the router.

Am I correct with my guess?

Thus, NTL cable will only be fit into NTL box. Not to the router.

I found one place which looks a little same as yours, you may want to see how the person reply and maybe you can get some clue out of it.

Source

yes your guess is correct. NTL cable connected from wall socket to NTL box, there is also only one Ethernet port but here is where maybe the mistake lies. From the NTL box's Ethernet port, my cousin is running the yellow ethernet cable from there into the port on First computer. So if I am reading your suggestion correctly, he should run it from the NTL box port into a port on the wireless router instead, then run cables from both computer's into the usb ports in the router....Is this correct? :thumbsup:

#14 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:26 PM

That is correct but make sure the cable from the NTL box to the router gets plugged in to the port labelled WAN on the back of the route. THen the other computers get plugged in to the ports labelled LAN on the router.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#15 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:27 PM

So if I am reading your suggestion correctly, he should run it from the NTL box port into a port on the wireless router instead, then run cables from both computer's into the usb ports in the router....Is this correct?

It's LAN port and not USB port. Maybe you have a typo.

Previously setup should have something wrong with it. So i suggest you to plug the NTL cable to NTL box and there will be a Ethernet WAN port right. Plug a Ethernet cable into it and plug it into the router.

Now you have 2 PC, plug in Ethernet cable into both of the PC, and from each PC. Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to the router LAN port.

If everything goes smoothly, your cousin should be able to use internet with both PC.

As for the wireless, you might want to wait until the wired connection is solved then continue with it.

Hope this will help you to solve your cousin problem. :thumbsup:

Edited by Nikas, 16 May 2007 - 12:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users