Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Corrupt Or Missing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BTek01

BTek01

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:21 AM

Hi,
I've searched this site and googled around, but I think my situation is unique. One seemingly random day I booted up my comp only to get the Windows\System32\Config\System Corrupt or Missing problem. So I boot up my Windows setup cd to use the Recovery feature. However, before it gets to the "Welcome to Setup" (when it's transferring files to RAM) an error pops up saying "the file aic78xx.sys is corrupted." I unplugged and reseated all of my hardware. I changed cables. But I don't know how that corrupted .sys file would affect loading windows setup. Any thoughts?? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:20 AM

That corrupted file is a part of the files that are used to run your CD drive - so if it's corrupted, then the CD drive won't work.

Check the CD to ensure that it's clean and scratch free. If possible, try copying it to your hard drive and running it from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 BTek01

BTek01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:51 PM

Check the CD to ensure that it's clean and scratch free. If possible, try copying it to your hard drive and running it from there.

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought that, too, so I checked my cd. looked fine, but I tried my roommate's winxp cd just in case (and tried it in both dvd drives)...and got the same error as well. Keep in mind that my computer POST just fine and all attached devices are detected by the BIOS.

So I have one more question. When the "file aic78xx.sys is corrupted" error comes up, is that one of the files being loaded into memory from the setup cd, or is that something already on the system and is just being utilized by the drive for setup?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:29 PM

Since this happens with both CD's I wouldn't expect it to be a problem with both of them. So, then it must be a problem with the aic78xx.sys file on the hard drive.

Since the file came from the CD's (which we presume are good), this then points to an issue with your hard drive or with the CD drive. I'd suggest that you run a hard drive diagnostic (usually available for free from the hard drive manufacturer) and try another CD reader to see if that's the cause.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users