Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Bootup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joelook

joelook

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:13 AM

My new HD installed is a Seagate and I have used Bootvis to show 119.19 secs. to logon (where the horizontal bar checks at) for that amt. of bootup time. I was trying to determine what usage for that percentile was or that accounted for the slow bootup and it points to WINLOGON/service. I use Zone Alarm F-Wall and AVG antivirus at bootup w/Google toolbar as far as Misconfig's report, aside from the minimal amt. of services needed to run computer, I have no network and was at any rate, trying to see if there's any hints or suggestions that I might try to resume w/faster (or used to be fast-boot-up).

Also, of noting I can't get into the setup or that is, by first startup of computer, of course, when trying to get into setup, all that happens repeatedly is asking for SETUP PASSWORD with an icon showing a key and that's-that and #3 or out of my issues here, when attempting to open or get into Components of the ADD PROGRAM/SOFTWARE in Control Panel, it denies w/message indicating a missing certain library dll that I believe was from Zone Alarm's original setup when or before I had new hard drive put on or during that time of changing from the old to the new, ever since, those 2 issues have been definite and I then tried to follow or trace Bootvis w/it's ultra-slow bootup but it has become faster from having (before) 130.00 secs. or thereabouts.

Thanks in advance if any possible leads or suggests. :thumbsup:

P.s. I don't have SP2, just SP1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:17 PM

Have you tried a system restore yet? That may fix the problem.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:25 PM

Since you don't have SP2 it can be many, many things causing this.

Just on a hunch, try a hard drive test to see if you're hard drive has any issues. You can get a free one from the website of your hard drive manufacturer.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 joelook

joelook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:35 PM

Thanks you guys for responding; I didn't try System Restore, I did do a little research further, and found a dll (missing file that I copied and put in the windows setup file and it then presented the (ADD/Programs/Software tab's Components, and it installs now, the files when I ask for add components, so that is without the standard msg. I had been seeing and believed it may have been Zone Alarm stuff---it was 'an zoneoc.dll not found and then ZoneSetUp Proc not found and then had a code connected, etc... So, it's a start to maybe the actual resolution.

Bootup has increased or has gone up in seconds, and that can be a separate issue altogether aside from this other issue of the Components not opening, along with still no activity on getting into setup from bootup.

AGAIN, thanks Jesse & usasma :thumbsup:

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:00 PM

The password its asking for is the Bios password. If you reset the bios with the jumper on the MB it will clear the cmos and let you in. Have you tried just pressing enter? If you need help with finding the jumper its usually near the memory slots, but it can vary. Post your computer type or even better if you know the manufacture of the Motherboard I can help you find the right jumper

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users