Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 shakin_off_dust

shakin_off_dust

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:00 PM

Hi Once Again,

I bought a 260G Samsung hard drive and a high speed USB 2.0 portable disk drive case, the man in the shop formatted it for me, bought it home plugged it in, worked once or twice then went into error F/: unreadable or corrupt etc, had computer trouble eg, not booting, slow response when it did start, put in a hijack this log, nothing untoward there, refered back to here. Sent the whole lot back to the computer shop, he redid the external and updated drivers, everything should be fine $140 later shouldn't it??! No, try to acress drive F, once again the error message...does anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong? For all intents and purposes my computer sees nothing wrong, says drive is healthy and active, ran chkdsk, no problems. My operating system is XP SP2, all the updates. Any tips, suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated..............
"I can't change time but time may change me"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:21 AM

Have you looked at your motherboard makers website for USB driver updates? The mortherboard maker also may have a BIOS update. What make and model computer do you have.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 shakin_off_dust

shakin_off_dust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:53 AM

Hi,
Am 100% sure the drivers would be good as the guy in the shop told me he did update them. At the risk of seeming very dim witted, not sure precisely what you mean by make and model, I know its a shop built one with generic type parts in, not any particualar brand (dell, gateway etc) some information I can give you is AMD Sempron 2200+, 1.49GHz, 448mb Ram. Thanks

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:56 AM

That is part of what I was asking (the fact it is not a name brand). Do you know which motherboard they installed?

#5 shakin_off_dust

shakin_off_dust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:07 AM

No I have no idea

#6 shakin_off_dust

shakin_off_dust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:16 AM

Hi,
OK further to the above shoulder shrug....I pulled off the side panel, looking, looking and the only writing I can see that is of readable size and could be of any meaning is V2DP, when V2DP+motherboard is googled it seems there are a few options, a jetway, a unicom, venom and j mark and thats the first page, any help?

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:33 AM

Go to Start> Run, and type MSinfo32. This may reveal your motherboard make and model.
It was not listed on the invoice?

#8 shakin_off_dust

shakin_off_dust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:58 AM

HM, did the MSinfo32, only thing I could see on there that may be helpful is the system manufacturer is VIA Technologies Inc. Just another thing I have noticed while sitting here trying to figure out this external hard drive thing is that when first connected the drive had a name, eg Axtec and a letter eg F and the file system was NTFS now it has changed its name to "local drive" and the file system is RAW, with zero used and zero unused, what might have casued that? And could a microsoft update interferred in some way?

#9 shakin_off_dust

shakin_off_dust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:00 AM

And here we are, good thinking on the invoice thing, it is a JETWAY motherboard, how are we going?

#10 Hooky1742

Hooky1742

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:07 PM

hi shakin off dust,

sorry i cant offer any help, but i am having exactly the smae problem as you, and i was hoping someone out there could help the pair of us.

My drive was previously called "external" (imaginative eh?!) and was formatted as an NTFS partition. It has worked beautifully for ages and now all of a sudden it has decided it is called "local disk". When i click on this, i get the error message "the disc structure is corrupt and unreadable". I am currently running a recovery programme, which has succeeded in salvaging some data, but i dont think it will get all 250 gb worth!

Apart from recovery software, is there some way i can make the disc structure readable and non corrupt again? (without reformatting)

Also, what could have caused such a sudden failure in the first place? It was literally spontaneous. Went away for lunch, came back, switched it on and bam, nothing. I would really like to get all my data back so please help us people!

Thanks in advance

Hooky

Edited by Hooky1742, 17 May 2007 - 01:11 PM.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:36 PM

Download this free program SIW and run it. It will give you all the info about what's in your computer and then post back
Mark

It also helps to post any error message word for word

Edited by garmanma, 17 May 2007 - 01:39 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 shakin_off_dust

shakin_off_dust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:24 PM

Hi, Thats the strange thing about it, works fine then doesn't at all, I don't know if you can do about fixing it without reformatting but one thing that I did find out is that apparently there are some cases that can't handle a drive bigger than 200gig and others can, bit of a trap. This is what the guy in the shop emailed me after I contacted him.... "I did a check yesterday on the make of the external case and was told that thay have some trouble with that make with hard drives above 200gig so I will change it over with another make that has been tested to 300gig and found to be good"......... still doesn't explained anything.
What I have ended up doing is (probably the wrong thing) I hooked the external to the puter as the master, ran the windows XP set up disc up until the "finalise windows installation screen" turned it all off, put the external back in the case and its working ok now, well for the time being, so not set up the way I would hav liked and lost a bit of space with the unecessary windows files I guess but better than it not working at all. And now I will do what Mark has asked.....suggestions and information is apppreciated.

#13 Hooky1742

Hooky1742

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:56 PM

i have reformatted the drive now, and i can now read/write to and from it. I managed to pull some data off the drive with software called recover my files (freeware), even tho i had reformatted (just shows how hard it is to totally remove data!!). I have lost most of my pictures tho. Fortunately i have managed to distribute my files throughout various people in my school and i will be able to get most of what could not be recovered like that. I dont think its to do with the case, as it has worked seamlessly for 2 years until this freak failure. O well, at least its fixed and useable now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users