Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Will Not Boot Up On My Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jaemal

Jaemal

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:47 PM

I'm not that knowledgeable with computers, so please bear with me. I'm trying to be as detailed as possible, and dont know which information will be of use and which will not.

I have a Dell Computer (System 5100)
BIOS Version A01 (5/25/05)
512 MB
I do not have a Windows XP disc.

My problem starts when I turn on my computer and it tries to access Windows.
Everytime, it will stop midway during the process, and a Blue Screen will appear that reads
"A problem has been detected and Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer"
Unmountable_Boot_Sequence
Technical Inforamation:
Stop: 0x000000ED (0x83195CD8) 0xc0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

I cannot get into Windows Safe Mode either, so I really cant check if its a virus or something else thats wrong.
Today is the first I'm noticing of this problem. Recently I was having trouble with my USB ports (would not recognize IPOD player, but worked for my wireless adapter for my router)
And I noticed on my Computer's Boot Sequence, it has (Onboard IDE Hard Drive) / and (USB Device) marked down as both
"Not Present".

I'm hoping to find someway to be able to get back into Windows/ for it to start working again.
Your help is much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:43 PM

It sounds like a partial HDD failure. Wait for Acklan or one of the other mods to refer you to a utility you can use to check for this, because I don't know what it is. :thumbsup:

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:13 PM

Thank you for that vote of confidence madman6510.

Here is a Microsoft Knowledge Base Article, that addresses that particular error code. You may have a bad or loose UDMA cable.

"STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message"

This would be a great time to order a set of Restore CD (OEM XP CDs) from Dell. They usually ship a set for $25 to $35 USD. I consider the OEM disk a "must have" item for future installs and other problem that may arise.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:52 AM

Dell may have included some diagnostic tools on your hard drive. Check the documentation to see if there's any there and if you can access them (it's usually a key stroke during the POST screens).

If there isn't, then download a bootable drive diagnostic (usually free) from the manufacturer of your hard drive.

Depending on the severity of the problems with your hard drive there's several avenues to attempt recovery of your data. Some of them are even free!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users