Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:36 PM

I would love to install ubuntu on my laptop but the problem is I have windows installed and it's an OEM for ACER and I don't have any cds to install.. just a recovery disk.

So I got two questions.

First one is a little off subject but if I leave the recovery partition intact and install over the windows partition (the c partition that windows is installed on) and formatted it and I wanted to come back to windows could I just pop in the recovery disk and have windows back?

What about installing it on my D partition? If I format the D partition and install linux on it while the recovery partion and the C partition with windows on it stays intact? Would that work?

Second of all

Can anyone tell me if the "Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter" will work on ubuntu. My computer is an Acer Aspire 5043 (It's written 5040 on the front but I am guessing the 3 is just a more precise version of the particular model)

BTW Could I run ubuntu as a live cd and try to get my wireless card working to see if it works that way and then make the decision to transfer over or do I have to do a full installation to be able to use wireless internet?

Moved from the Networking Forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 12 May 2007 - 05:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:57 PM

Have you considered installing it to a 2 or 4 gb flash drive till you get the bugs worked out? Once you have it working on the flash drive install it on your HD.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:58 PM

the ubuntu CD is a "live CD" so you can try it out without installing ovver anything.

here is the "incomplete" wiki on what Wireless Networking devices work with Ubuntu 7.04 (aka Feisty Fawn) https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/...sCardsSupported

As for the Install over Windows. How much HardDrive Space do you have available? It would probably be wise to leave the Windows partitions alone if at all possible and just install in your unused space (assuming you have enough)

Thanks Acklan you gave me a good scare there for a minute. LOL

Edited by BlackSpyder, 12 May 2007 - 05:58 PM.

Posted Image

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:07 PM

Thanks Acklan you gave me a good scare there for a minute. LOL

How so?

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:21 PM

you moved the topic right as I was posting. I hit the Post button and it took me a second to figure out what had happened.

Posted Image

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:28 PM

Well it's a "60" gig hard drive, it actually only shows 51 (probably because of the invisible recovery partition) and each drive is divided in 25 gigs each...

Thanks for the idea of the 2-4 gig flash drive, but I don't have one nor a portable hard disk and kind of low on cash right now until pay day...

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:42 PM

Just an idea.

#8 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:28 PM

resize partition, install, dual-boot with bootpart? ubuntu has a built in resizer and such...i think anyway...if not...g-parted

#9 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:09 AM

Ubuntu uses Gparted to format and partition (great tool btw) and Grub as a boot loader. If you wanna use bootpart, that's up to you. I however would stick to Grub until I got more familiar with it. Once you get used to it, then start farting around with changing packages and bootloaders and alternate desktops and recompiling...and stufff.

I just did a Debian 4.0 net install on a 20 Gb hard drive and am having some problems getting passed the log in screen after I had done some updates. So I am afraid all of my time is going to be taken up sorting this out for a while :thumbsup:
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#10 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:58 AM

yes im kind of a devotee to bootpart =P

sorry bout your debian issue btw :thumbsup: now im getting issues with every linux i install BUT Xandros....*sigh*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users