Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Keeps Closng Down

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 talisafernandes

talisafernandes

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:20 PM

hello
my problem is that very often internet explorer closes down when i click on a link or try to close one particular window. when this happens, another window pops up saying that internet explorer has experianced an error. would you like to send an error report? this happens very frequently.

i currently use norton antivirus. this shows that no adware or viruses are present. but im not sure if that is correct. could you please tell me how to get rid of this problem?

thanks
from...talisa fernandes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:56 PM

Hi, and :thumbsup: to bleeping computer, first, I would like a little more information; We need to know what version of windows that you are using and the text from the error message that you receive.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:29 AM

Have your tried doing your scans in "SAFE MODE"? Have you performed any anti-spyware scans?

See BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources and at least scan with Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D. In #4 there is a list of several free online anti-virus scans which you can perform. I would also recommend that you download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 talisafernandes

talisafernandes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:37 PM

I have windows xp

the error box says"
internet explorer has encountered a problem & needs to close. we are sorry for inconveniance.If you were in midddle of something info might be lost

error signature
AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180
ModName: kernel32.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180
Offset: 001eb33

Technical error report
the foll info about ur process wil be reported
exception information
code: 0*0eedfade flags: 0*00000001
Record: 0*0000000000000000

System info
windows nt 5.1 build: 2600
cpu vendor code: 756E6547-49656e69-6C65746E
cpu feature code: BFEBFBFF CPU AMD feature code: 00B4E824

MODULE 1
iexplore
image size 0*00000000 checksum: 0*00023c72
time stamp: 0*41107b81
foll file will be included C:\DOCUME^1\user\LOCALS^1\TEMP\DCF6_APPCOMPAT.TXT

thx a lot 4 ur help i really appreciate it.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:32 PM

Do you have any P2P programs installed? the error indicates that a different module is interfering with internet explorer, such as a hidden toolbar or malware. I have seen this error before with Ares, Limewire, Bearshare and Utorrent. I would recommend uninstalling any P2P program(s) that you have on your computer, then look at Quietman7's post and do the scans that he recommended.

In addition I would recommend that you download and install a good antivirus, if you dont already have one.

Here is the bleeping computer freeware list: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

since more than one antivirus can conflict, please uninstall previous expired AV programs.

If this does not cure your problem, go here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

and then post the Hijack This log.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 talisafernandes

talisafernandes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:04 AM

i have a program called mp3 rocket which is very similar to limewire. maybe that is the p2p program causing the trouble

wat about kazaa. would downloading kazaa instead pose the same problem?

thanks a lot

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,569 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:14 AM

Using any P2P (peer-to-peer) file sharing program is a security risk. Even if you use a spyware-free P2P application, you still have to contend with the possibility of downloading malicious files from unknown sources and infecting your system. P2P networks have infected files on them and a number of them have malware that is included with their software. Using P2P software makes you susceptible to a smorgasbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information. See The Spyware Infested Filesharing Programs List.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,569 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:40 AM

I have split your HJT log away from this thread and moved it into the HJT forum.

You can find it here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/92970/internet-explorer-keeps-closng-down/

Now that your log is posted there, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files on your own, etc.) unless advised by a HJT Team member. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make may cause confusion for the member assisting you and complicate the malware removal process.

Please be patient and wait for a response from an HJT Team member. It may take a while to get a response because team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. While waiting, please DO NOT make another reply to your log until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have no replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response, a team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users