Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Create A Windows Mail Contact Group (listing)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Russsl

Russsl

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:29 PM

Problem #2 with Windows Mail.

In trying to create a 'Contact Group' e-mail listing, there should be a "New Contact Group" button on the Contacts toolbar. On the administrator side, the "New Contact Group" appears where it should, but this button does not appear in any of the user accounts.

I have tried right clicking the toolbars to try and customize with no joy in adding this button. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:26 PM

Maybe you can get an idea from this link (or where/how to look for setting one up)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Contacts

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Russsl

Russsl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:58 AM

Thanx Jaycee,

I'm looking through it, but haven't found anything yet.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:55 PM

You've tried this?

Contact groups are designed to be used with Windows Mail, and are sometimes called mailing lists.

1.. Click to open Windows Contacts..

2.. On the toolbar, click New Contact Group, type a name in the Group Name box, and then fill in the boxes on the Contact Group tab and Contact Group Details tab. You don't have to fill in all the boxes; just type as much information as you want about the new contact group you are creating.

3.. Add contacts to the contact group in any of the following ways:

a.. To add individual contacts to the group from your existing contacts, click Select Members.

b.. To create new contacts and add them to the contact group, click New Contact.

c.. To add new people to the contact group without also adding them to your individual contacts, type the appropriate information in the Contact Name and E-mail boxes, and then click Add.

Tip
a.. You can send an e-mail message to a contact group using Windows Mail. To do this, open Windows Contacts, right-click a contact group, point to Action, and then click Send e-mail. This will open a new e-mail message in Windows Mail addressed to all the members of that contact group.

See also
a.. Managing your contacts
b.. Add or delete contacts
c.. Organize and find contacts
d.. Working with Windows Mail

Also, another link to look at:
http://www.vista4beginners.com/windows-contacts

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 Russsl

Russsl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:26 PM

Hi Jacee,

We have the 'New Contacts' and 'New Group Contacts' on the toolbar on the admin side and can create new group lists there. Our problem is with all the other user accounts.

In Windows Contacts, the top toolbar has the standard File, Edit, View, Tools & Help. File has only New & Close - everthing else is greyed out. Edit has Select All & Invert Selection - everthing else is greyed out. View has Toolbars (which displays Google & Lock Toolbars); Status Bar; the icon , list, details, etc. preferences; Sort By; Stack By; Choose Details; Customize This Folder... (for files only not program); GoTo and Refresh. Tools has Map Network Drive, Disconnect Network Drive, Open Sync Center and Folder Options (same as View/Customize This Folder).

The lower toolbar has Organize, Views and Burn. This is the toolbar where the 'New Contacts' and 'New Group List' is supposed to appear. These do apper on the admin side but not the users side. Organize has New Folder, Select All, Layout (which only rearranges the paine), Folders and Search Options (no toolbar customizing here), Properties (which is similar to View/Customize This Folder) and Close. Views allows you to adjust the icons like the View on the upper bar. And finally Burn which activates the CD burner.

Is there some other place I need to be looking?

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:39 AM

You may need to get in touch with one of the Windows communities:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...=windows%20mail

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:46 AM

More information here (creating a 'user account'):
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...0d68701033.mspx

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:34 PM

With the number of problems this is giving you, I'd recommend trying the free Mozilla Thunderbird email client in place of Windows Mail. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Russsl

Russsl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:45 PM

Hi Jacee & Usama,

Still working on trying to solve the problem. Jacee, tried the windows forum and still can't find a solution yet. Also, the user accounts also have their own email addresses. Still sloggin' through this and it has become a creal hallenge!!! Please keep coming up with suggestions and I'll hunt 'em down while I'm boring my way into this morass!

Still cannot open attachments in windows mail yet. Have killed every security option I can find under Tools/Options and even turned off the firewall. Still no joy on this. You both seem to have a better handle on Vista than I do. Any suggestiond on this problem?

#10 Russsl

Russsl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

OK! Solved the problem. It took a complete reinstall of the Vista OS. Apparently the upgrade on only 1 GB ram did not allow all files to copy over correctly. Performing a complete install using 2 GB ram did the trick.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:13 PM

Glad to hear that it's fixed, but sorry to hear it took a reinstall to do it!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Russsl

Russsl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:48 PM

So am I. Now I'm slowly reistalling software, one at a time... Where's SP1!!!

Edited by Russsl, 30 May 2007 - 08:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users