Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fata Error Message On Winxp Install

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Broken73

Broken73

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:05 PM

I just replaced my MOBO and am in the process of switching my IDE boot drive to my SATA drive. I have unplugged the IDE drive completely. The CDROM is plugged in as CS and the SATA HD is plugged into the Master SATA 1 plug. After windows copies all the necessary files, reboots, and loads the Windows screen to finish the install I get a Fatal Error message.

Fatal error message
"An error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing.

One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

The parameter is incorrect.

Press OK to view the log file."

The log file says:
"ERROR.
Installation failed. D:\I386\asms. Error message: The parameter is incorrect.

Fatal Error.
One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

The parameter is incorrect.

Any suggestions? :thumbsup:

- ASUS P5GC-MX Intel Socket 775 MicroATX Motherboard and an Intel Pentium D 940 3.0GHz OEM Processor
- WIN XP PRO
- 2 GB 533 MHz RAM
- MAXTOR 300GB SATA
- WD 80GB IDE
- NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB PCIe
- 600W CoolMax power supply

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:50 PM

Did you load the drivers for your SATA drive when prompted during the installation? It's at the bottom of the screen and says something like "Press F6 if you need to install drivers for RAID/SCSI"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Broken73

Broken73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:20 PM

Good point. Duh.
When I hit F6 it says:
Setup could not determine the type of one or more mass storage devices installed in your system or you have chosen to manually specify an adapter. Currently, setup will load support for the following mass storage device: NONE

My choices are select S to specify additional devices. When I do this it tells me setup could not find a floppy drive on my system and I can either ESC to cancel loading drivers or F3 to quit setup.

I do not have a floppy drive installed. Besides, the drivers are on a CD-ROM.
How do I install the SATA driver?

Thanks

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:12 PM

Hi Broken, here is the link to the "how to site install a raid driver"(top left select raid from the drop down list) but Im not sure which of the two raids is suited to your system so b4 proceeding let someone advise you which is the correct one (sorry I have to go out).
http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments...SLanguage=en-us
MCP
MSDST

#5 Broken73

Broken73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:46 PM

Monty007,
I went to the link you provided and have searched the entire ASUS web site for the past hr or two and can not find the SATA drivers anywhere. I can't believe how something so simple is becoming so difficult.
All I want to do is use my SATA for the boot drive.

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:54 PM

On the right hand side there is a drop down menu select Raid from there.
MCP
MSDST

#7 Broken73

Broken73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:21 AM

I've been there and none of articles mention my mobo model of P5GC-MX.

I'm just hoping that the SATA driver will fix the original I386\ASMS error.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:16 AM

For XP, a floppy drive is required. I use a USB floppy drive whenever I install SATA drivers.

As for the drivers, I read your mobo manual and they're not listed in there. From that I presume that the mobo recognizes the SATA drives natively and that you're supposed to be able to install Windows without the drivers.

So, there's a few other things to check. Are the SATA drives enabled in the BIOS? Have you checked to ensure that your installation CD is clean and in good condition? Have you tried copying the contents of the i386 folder to the hard drive and running the installation from there?

The posts that I've seen about this error on the web usually revolve around CD/DVD drive issues - so it may be a problem with the CD/DVD drive itself. Do you have a spare that you can borrow and try in it's place?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users