Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Triple Boot Issue

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:34 AM

I liked my first linux distro so much i thought id install a second one. This morning i installed Freespire on a ReiserFS partition and Dual booted using BootPart. the commandline said it worked but when i tryed to boot it it gives me a bootpart error message to enter the SystemDisk. I entered the Freespire disk and it just brings me back to install it. I also tryed this with Zenwalk and i got the same issue. Does any one know why this is happening and what i can do to fix it? Am i even able to Triple Boot (or quadruple or more) using BootPart?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:25 PM

Any one know? I've waited almost 3 days for a reply:|

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:55 PM

Thank you for being patient. I would guess that nobody else uses Bootpart, and so can not answer your question. I just use Grub, so I know nothing about BootPart. But I see that they have a support forum, so maybe you should try there?.

#4 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:36 AM

Yeah, sorry. I don't use bootpart. After reading the following thread, I think I can give some advice.

http://forum.winimage.com/viewtopic.php?t=2439

It appears that Bootpart simply passes the boot process to the bootloader on the Linux partition.

Do you know if the bootloader, either Lilo, or GRUB got installed to the freespire partition. I would recommend asking for more information on the freespire forum.
The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

#5 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:54 AM

I haven't used it either. I have read something a while back about it. I prefer GRUB, when I get a distro that's packaged with LILO, I change it to GRUB.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#6 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:18 AM

No GRUB wasnt installed. But new problem. Related to this. I installed my Ubuntu 7 yesterday and i installed GRUB to a floppy. so i can boot into ubuntu with the floppy but thats about it. Now theres supposed to be some magical way to create a magical file that i will store on my magical windows that i can add to my magical boot.ini that will magically quad boot ubuntu. at the moment im triple booting with DellUtility, XP, and Xandros.

So in other words how do i pull the bootloader off the floppy(the files are hidden i cant even see them even wen i allow hiddens) and turn it into a file that i can add to C:\ and apparently add to boot.ini whichll boot it.

#7 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:29 AM

You are using bootpart right? there should be instructions for adding OS's to it's list somewhere on the internet.

Have you tried this yet?

How to add Linux

For Linux, you must install Lilo at the beginning of the Linux partition (as is the case with the OS/2 boot manager) and then add the Linux partition with BootPart:

When you install Linux or run liloconfig, select "Superblock of the root linux partition" as the location for Lilo. On my own Linux box, this added the line "boot=/dev/sdb4" into the file /etc/lilo.conf

If you want mount your NTFS partition under Linux, visit the NTFS for Linux page.

For more info about mutlibooting, you may take a look at http://www.bcpl.net/~dbryan/directboot.html or at a modified version. There is also a tutorial to use NT loader to boot into BeOs.

There are also several interesting HowTo articles on this subject. Look at NT OS Loader + Linux mini-HOWTO. There is also another howto here.

Microsoft has also several KB article about the boot process : Q102873 describes Boot.ini, Q289022 describe how modify Boot.ini, Q101787 describes the boot process itself.

Windows NT Magazine published an article named Mastering Multibooting Madness.

Article Q157992 and Q153762 describe booting with both Win9x and MS-Dos 6.22 with the NT Loader, the Sysinternals site also contains a page about Boot.ini options.

If you want to backup Long File names in a FAT partition under MSDOS, Duncan Murdoch's DOSLFNBK utility may prove useful. (you can visit his page here).

I got those instructions from;

http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm
DON'T DO IT!!!!

#8 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:42 AM

....im kind of lost in that =P. I have GRUB installed at the beginning of the partition hda5 and the bootloader is in /boot/grub and somefiles that are just in /boot. i used partition 5 with bootpart and i just get that error. theres this thing i downloaded from the ubuntu site..well not a download a text...and it says with a code they gave me i can pull off GRUB from my floppy and trun it into a file called bootsect.lnx which i can then throw onto the c drive and boot off of with boot.ini

ill show youthe code..i tryed but it doesent work...seems a little faulted but how should i know..

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

where I think the problem is.../dev/fd0 on my personal ubuntu is that i cant open up /dev/hd0 its called /floppy0 and also thefiles on the floppy are really hidden..even when i enable my hiddens i cant find them..but i still can boot off the disk? maybe GRUB is like formatted on it? and i think it might be pulling off a blank file and turning it into bootsect.lnx because floppys blank. Would there be a way maybe to turn the files on /boot/grub into bootsect.lnx?

I wish Windows would make everyones life easy and just allow linux to be installed on them...*sigh*

#9 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:33 AM

Did you install windows after a linux distro was all ready on there?

A hard drive can support up to 4 OS's. If one of the partitions all ready had Grub on it, that may be where your problem lies. However, Grub can "see" all OS's and flag the right stuff to boot from it. If you installed Windows after a linux/BSD/MAC OS, then windows bootloader overwrites and refuses to acknowledge anything BUT windows OS's.

Theoretically, you should be able to reinstall GRUB on any linux partition and it should fix it...it's not always that nice though and I certainly am not recommending you do this...yet.
DON'T DO IT!!!!

#10 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:38 AM

no windows was on and then i put on ubuntu. the 4 OS's are, WINDOWS, DELLUTILITY, Xandros, Ubuntu, and a SWAP....thats 5...hmm...SWAP must have something to do...i CAN delete dell utility...if ineed to..or SWAP...GRUB detects my OS's all of them when i boot off my GRUB floppy. GRUB is installed on Ubuntu,i just need a way to turn grub into a file that i can put in my boot order.

#11 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:37 PM

Don't delete the swap partition. The only limit to partitions is the amount of space you have on your hard drive. you can partition away all day long. 4 OS's is the max because of the bios and booting and boot sector space, and a number of other things. If windows was on there first, and everything seemed to work, you should just try to reinstall Grub. A quick google search should be able to get you all the info you need on that. For the most part, it's just booting into linux (in your case Ubuntu) and using synaptic to reinstall grub. Or, I can't remember if Ubuntu's disk has it, a grub repair option. Either way, that should take care of it.
DON'T DO IT!!!!

#12 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 04:10 PM

Im not using GRUB im using the windows bootloader. On the ubuntu partition grub is on there and for sure it is installed. maybe ill try to reinstall ubuntu...

#13 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:59 AM

Apparently, you can edit bootpart so that it will see other OS's. It's supposed to be here: Q289022. Of course that is for XP. You shouldn't need to reinstall Ubuntu, Just the boot manager (GRUB).
DON'T DO IT!!!!

#14 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:12 PM

Or install Lilo...
The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

#15 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:15 PM

ahh fixed it :thumbsup: the code i was using i forgot to use the 'sudo' command...copied bootsect.lnx to a flash drive..saved onto xp and can now boot off it :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users